Maine Photography Workshops

Posted by:
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor

by Gary Briney on Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:19 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
Beautifully framed shot -- I love the fall color!
G. Briney

by Carol Clarke on Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:59 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
The autumn glow frames him beautifully!
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Cindy Marple on Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:58 pm
Cindy Marple
Member #:00038
Love the autumn foliage setting! Boris and not Bullwinkle?? :)
Cindy Marple
www.cindymarplephoto.com

by Buckmaster on Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:04 am
Buckmaster
Forum Contributor
That is a great Photo. I still love the 36 X 48 Canvas print you made up for Kathy and I of Boris, I will
say this photo here was taken at same time, just ours is head on shot..So many guests to our home love
and comment on it.. again thanks for the great job capturing the photo and great job on the canvas print!

Bob

by Mark Picard on Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:05 am
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
Cindy Marple wrote:Love the autumn foliage setting!  Boris and not Bullwinkle??  :)
When we first found"Boris", he was rather busy courting "Natasha"! Once they parted ways, he was trying to locate other gals. Boris was so majestic that I thought "Bullwinkle" was a little wimpy! :)
Mark Picard

by Square Man1 on Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:53 am
Square Man1
Forum Contributor
Congrats on your EP Mark, you have to love this guy, perfect frame.

Regards,

Rob

by Missy Mandel on Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:35 am
Missy Mandel
Forum Contributor
Member #:01973
Mark, this is a fabulous image of Boris, with beautiful framing. Congrats on EP!!
Missy Mandel
Toronto, Canada
Comments and critiques welcomed.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/missymandel/
www.missymandel.ca
Instagram missymandel_photography

by Steven Major on Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:10 am
Steven Major
Forum Contributor
Just terrific image. Also...readers may not be aware of the extreme unlikeliness of ever seeing, let alone photographing a 20 point buck (points on antlers). The Picard enigma strikes again.

by pleverington on Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:14 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
Great job here Mark especially with those colors...

Paul
Paul Leverington
"A great image is one that is created, not one that is made"

by pleverington on Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:17 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
STEVENMAJOR wrote:Just terrific image. Also...readers may not be aware of the extreme unlikeliness of ever seeing, let alone photographing a 20 point buck (points on antlers). The Picard enigma strikes again.

Sounds like Boris is destined for the trophy hunters wall.........

Paul
Paul Leverington

by Mark Picard on Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:21 pm
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
pleverington wrote:
STEVENMAJOR wrote:Just terrific image. Also...readers may not be aware of the extreme unlikeliness of ever seeing, let alone photographing a 20 point buck (points on antlers). The Picard enigma strikes again.

Sounds like Boris is destined for the trophy hunters wall.........

Paul
Never gonna' happen Paul! I've been photographing this handsome bull for 4 years now, and lucky for him he's found in Baxter State Park, a totally wilderness park with only one dirt road running through 210,000 acres of the North Woods of Maine. A few campgrounds, carry in, carry out policy, no running water, beautiful Mt. Katahdin, and hundreds of miles of hiking and climbing trails and beautiful scenery is what brings roughly only 60,000 visitors annually And, oh yeah, the moose! :) 
Mark Picard

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:45 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Another exciting shot from you Mark!  Glad you know Boris.  Keep up your outstanding moose work.

Robert
http://robertkingimages.smugmug.com/

by pleverington on Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:39 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
Well I sincerely hope you are right Mark. A lot of hunters set up on park boundaries just so they can take advantage of animals that are accustomed to people not being a threat. Is hunting allowed at all in this wilderness park?? Which by the way sounds like a spiritual treasure the way you describe it. Mark there are always hunters who thrive on getting that biggest buck to satiate their egos. Perhaps keeping such known animals under the internet radar might be best for them?? Just spoutin out thoughts....I really don't know the situation. But for sure advertising on the net has led to many a magnificent animal's demise. Sad when ego replaces spiritual consciousness and so beautiful animals similar Boris are asked to pay the price.

You know the more I look at him and those eyes the more I see reflections of myself. Like the wrinkles above his eyes....painting some sort of gentle concern and at the same time worried apprehension. His eyes depict softness and affection....but that body is all about power and dominance.

It is a great image Mark...

Paul  
Paul Leverington

Last edited by pleverington on Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Cecil Gray on Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:04 pm
Cecil Gray
Forum Contributor
Some Moose have a combination of habitat and habit within that habitat that favor their survival during hunting seasons. Boris has the Park but he also seems to be one of these Moose and quite frankly I hope it is only old age that claims him. He is a living legend and I can only think of one more I personally know that is approaching that standing. I will find out this summer if his habits suit survival and he does not have a park. Hope to meet Boris this season if he is around; I'll be looking. And Yes Mark has years invested in that perfect moment.

by Mark Picard on Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:08 am
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
pleverington wrote:Well I sincerely hope you are right Mark. A lot of hunters set up on park boundaries just so they can take advantage of animals that are accustomed to people not being a threat. Is hunting allowed at all in this wilderness park?? Which by the way sounds like a spiritual treasure the way you describe it. Mark there are always hunters who thrive on getting that biggest buck to satiate their egos. Perhaps keeping such known animals under the internet radar might be best for them?? Just spoutin out thoughts....I really don't know the situation. But for sure advertising on the net has led to many a magnificent animal's demise. Sad when ego replaces spiritual consciousness and so beautiful animals similar Boris are asked to pay the price.

You know the more I look at him and those eyes the more I see reflections of myself. Like the wrinkles above his eyes....painting some sort of concern and at the same time worried apprehension. His eyes depict softness and affection....but that body is all about power and dominance.

It is a great image Mark...

Paul  
There is a very limited White-Tail deer hunting season in the park that encompasses about 10% of the lower section of the park. There is absolutely no moose hunting allowed in the park. This particular bull is living about 12 miles from that area anyway. Like I said in my post, there's only one road (dirt no less) in the park that has a ranger station at either end that you have to register going in and coming out, so  poaching a moose would be near impossible to sneak through. To me, just posting a image can't possibly help anyone locate these animals given the vastness of our North Woods. Maine has the largest conifer forests in the lower 48.. I work my a$$ off trying to find them as it is! I know that I spend hundreds more hours than a hunter does trying to find them. Going back to 1999 - 2007 I photographed a huge dominate bull for 8 years in a row. He was actually living outside the park in a hunting zone, but no hunter ended up getting him, as he died from Lungworm disease.He was about 3 years old when I first photographed him, so he was about 11 years old when he passed.  Plenty of hunters so badly wanted him on their trophy wall, but they didn't get him because as Cecil said, they have a good sense of disappearing come the hunting season. 
Mark Picard

by pleverington on Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:50 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
Good stuff Mark...glad to hear...

Paul
Paul Leverington

by crw816 on Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:57 pm
crw816
Forum Contributor
Mark. I remember this day fondly. It was my first trip to Baxter and and while I was setup right next to you I was too excited to pull off the money shot! To this day, I still don't know how you pulled off this scene. We heard the moose crashing through the brush in the distance and Mark set up his camera and said to pay attention a break in the foliage. It was the only gap in the roadside undergrowth and about 15 minutes later, sure enough, he passed right through the the window, pausing for just long enough. FYI, this was not on a moose run (predictable), just browsing grounds. He's half man, half amazing! (And the big canvas print at the gallery is stunning!).
Chris White
www.whitephotogallery.com

by Antino_Cervigni on Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:59 am
Antino_Cervigni
Forum Contributor
Excellent shot. Regards Antin
[i]Antino Italy[/i]

by david fletcher on Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:03 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
pleverington wrote:Good stuff Mark...glad to hear...

Paul
Not sure what the best and appropriate response is, so I shall say what is on my mind at first thought.   Have to echo Paul and understand what he thinks, but from my own experiences, from a different direction.  I recently had an experience with a Moose, quite a bit north of me; and what struck me most, was the continual, soft, chatter it made.  not sure how best to describe the effect it had, but was calming, rewarding and eye opening.  

regarding the image, I can only comment as a fitting tribute.  wish it were mine!
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

22 posts |