Wide - Open

Posted by william bickle on Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:03 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
Wide-Open mouth of the Humpback Whale , showing his baileen and dripping sea water. Close to shoreline but still very deep. Another Humpback just under the surface causing the rise in water.
Taken in GreatBear Rainforest  of Northern British Columbia Canada during the feeding season before departing to warmer climate.

Hand-Held from a  Sailboat, D600, @400mm VR on Active. F5.6, ISO 5000
-1.0 Meter Compensation, One Pass NR.

Comments and Critique Very Much Appreciated.

Bill

www.BillBickle.com

Last edited by william bickle on Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted by:
william bickle
Forum Contributor

by Matthew Pugh on Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:16 am
Matthew Pugh
Member #:00345
Hi

A very cool shot - must have been quite the experience to have had

Thanks for the view

All the best
Matthew

by Srcan on Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:06 pm
Srcan
Forum Contributor
Neat shot. I like the background cliff, the roiling water, and the look of the open mouth. I suspect that the overall dark tone is pretty accurate for the area and conditions but I'd still like to see a touch more light on the background.

by Carol Clarke on Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:12 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Srcan wrote:Neat shot.  I like the background cliff, the roiling water, and the look of the open mouth.  I suspect that the overall dark tone is pretty accurate  for the area and conditions but I'd still like to see a touch more light on the background.

I was just thinking exactly the same thing Bill, just a touch more light for web viewing might be preferable?  I am loving your Whale series taken in this setting with the added interest of the backgrounds you got there,
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by william bickle on Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:56 am
william bickle
Forum Contributor
Hello

Great to get your feedback on the scene and image.
Yes was a Dark Experience but well worth capturing! High ISO and faster shutter make fore a
Challenge!
I'll consider a lighter version on another Whale encounter soon!

I feel the Whale captures do not get as much audience interests from the other images shown? I thoroughly enjoyed this Adventure trip with so many exciting Whale encounters to see and enjoy. The closeness to these big guys was an amazing experience to witness, Their distinctive odours when they blow their stack to their immense size while breaching and surfacing, and gentleness towards us is an experience that requires to "Be There" to fully appreciate everything.

Cheers

Bill
www.BillBickle.com

by Srcan on Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:39 pm
Srcan
Forum Contributor
Hi Bill,
I think one of the reasons images of whales don't get a lot of views is that people like to see more of the animal. Rare to get any kind of eye contact from them. I agree with your comments about "being there" The sounds and smells that take place during an outing greatly add to the experience for me but can only be described. Viewers who've had the same experiences know the feelings, others will have to use their imaginations. Having never been around whales and looking at your photo, I can try to imagine seeing the whale getting more visible as it rises from the depths and the sound of the water rushing through and over the gaping mouth. I've read descriptions of the smells involved with an exhaling whale so I'll just imagine that too. Regardless, your photo made me pause, look over the entire scene, and think about what it must've been like to be there.

Steve

by william bickle on Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:08 pm
william bickle
Forum Contributor
hello Steve

Thanks, for your feedback. Let me explain ...One AMAZING encounter, apparently it happens once in awhile, The Captain & Admiral Jenn, have seen this but only once in twenty five + - years, So I feel very fortunate ....We were on shore up river for about 6 hours in the very heavy rains, as we trudged up the rivers shoreline and crossed the smaller rivers at times , we noticed the rising current. We were in search of those elusive "Spirit Bears" , but rivers were way too high and had sent the Returning spawning salmon down stream to the ocean. Anyway after many hours we decided the rivers were still ok to cross over but we neded to move soon, So we trudged back to the shoreline and were eventually picked up and safe on board the mothership.( 71 foot Sailboat) By this time I was quit wet, tired, and dejected to be skunked. But the best was yet to happen. As we started to move while on board the mothership we could see a Humpback quite close and we went closer to it. Then we drifted with the tide as the Whale was still close and getting closer. I was in the Wheelhouse and could see on Sonar the whale swim under the boat and reappear on the other side, Way too close to photograph with our longer lens. This whale floated and stayed with us for about 1 hour. It at several times came up beside the boat head first and gently touched the boat as it raised itself high enough and close enough to reach out and touch it!!!OMG!!! The barnacles and sea lice were everywhere on it's face.
At times it would surface about 10 feet away and spray us while he Blew his stack, the odour was strong and we were so excited to witness this.
I was fortunate to capture much of this on my GoPro !!

Cheers

Bill

by Gary Briney on Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:07 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
Striking shot
G. Briney

8 posts |