Caiman (c)

Posted by DarkSide on Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:01 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
Shot through the glass with my new amazing Canon 100-400 II and 5dMkIII. Natural light. No filiter.
Life is short - shoot good glass!

Posted by:
DarkSide
Forum Contributor

by Matthew Pugh on Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:29 am
Matthew Pugh
Member #:00345
Hi

Nice shot

I like the composition and lighting - I would ideally prefer more DOF, especially frontal; whether this was an option I don't know

All the best
Matthew

by Cindy Marple on Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:43 pm
Cindy Marple
Member #:00038
Nice perspective and such a perfect reflection. I like the choice to go in tight on the head, emphasizing the eyes and textures. To my eye this is stronger if you crop the top so that the bright area along the upper right half is removed. Also needs a slight CW rotation, the reflection doesn't line up with the animal. Overall a really nice image.
Cindy Marple
www.cindymarplephoto.com

by quintfineartphoto on Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:36 am
quintfineartphoto
Forum Contributor
Nice shot. So sharp great reflection.

by william bickle on Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:18 am
william bickle
Forum Contributor
Not sure this is cropped but dof to get important items in focus would have really helped here. I too think some toning down slightly would bring in better detail.

Bill

by mvsneary on Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:02 pm
mvsneary
Forum Contributor
Very much agree with the comments and suggestions already provided.

One additional thought, which breaks instinctive focus technique, is when your subject has a long snout (etc), and even bears for example would fall into this category, and it's facing you, is to move the focus point off the eye and onto the snout, remembering that depth of field is in front and behind the focus point (subject to how accurately you've calibrated the lens of course!) - so if you focus on the eye you're potentially wasting dof behind the main focus plane of interest. Something to consider, noting as Matthew indicated that this shot could (for my preference too) benefit from more DOF.

Thanks for sharing.

Martin

by Methodical on Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:49 am
Methodical
Forum Contributor
Nice shot I like it. I also agree about the DOF, but I know that sometimes when we are in the moment that we may not think it until later. I have to remind myself to shoot at different apertures and angles (if possible) for different effects.

What was the aperture for this shot? Was this handheld?

7 posts |