Bobcat Vision Quest

Posted by Brent R Paull on Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:27 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
Good things happen when you push yourself to continue chasing a subject you have photographed many times.  Of the thousands of bobcat images I've shot in the oak woodlands of central California this is my favorite "face shot" of a wild bobcat.  Nikon D3s body, 500mm f4 lens, ISO 800, f4.5, 1/250 second, Indura tripod/head, raw converted to jpg in CS6. The color in the eyes comes from the reflected color of the oak tree bark - I've got other images with light blue eyes.

I've had 86 bobcat encounters so far in 2014, with 6 more safaris before the end of the year I will blow past last years 94 bobcats easily and set a new personal record well above 100.  Photographing bobcats in California has become a quest for me - they are elusive predators, but within reach for those of us that have come to understand their habits and traits. 
Brent Russell Paull // American West Photo Safaris
http://www.amwestphoto.com 

Posted by:
Brent R Paull
Forum Contributor

by Chris Kayler on Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:47 am
Chris Kayler
Forum Contributor
Hi Brent. Beautiful image here! I do find the composition to be a bit tight in the frame for my tastes, but it's still pleasing to the eye. The bokeh is really pleasant, and the detail is great. I dig the light, too.

by Missy Mandel on Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:55 pm
Missy Mandel
Forum Contributor
Member #:01973
Brent, your hard work and dedication to photographing this beautiful species has paid off. This is a gorgeous portrait
Missy Mandel
Toronto, Canada
Comments and critiques welcomed.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/missymandel/
www.missymandel.ca
Instagram missymandel_photography

by JessFindlay on Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:53 pm
JessFindlay
Forum Contributor
Beautiful shot, Brent! You seem to have a real unique understanding of these animals - an impressive number of encounters for sure. I agree with Chris about this one being a bit tight. Just wondering about your comment regarding the colour in the eyes being a result of the surroundings. Is iris colour not determined by pigment? I look forward to more of your shots of these awesome felines.

by ypegova70 on Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:34 am
ypegova70
Forum Contributor
So beatifull  your bobcat....Congratulations !!!

by Rhett on Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:19 pm
Rhett
Lifetime Member
Member #:01389
Beautiful picture. I really like the low angle.

6 posts |