One from Moss Landing

Posted by owlseye on Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:22 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
While I took more otter images than I could imagine, I found it really difficult to capture both the adaptations and cuteness that make these mustelids "a favorite" in the mammal world. 

One of the most difficult tasks was to shoot at a shallow depth of field while holding the shadows in the out of focus body at bay. Many of my otter shots have beautifully lit faces juxtaposed with ugly shadows below the head. While I could have chosen to stop down and increase the detail, I felt that the lower feet would compete with the head for your attention. Instead, I chose to overexposed the shot (a bit) and pull back he highlights. This allowed me to fill the shadows while keep the focus on the otter's eyes... this sunny afternoon was among the many challenges I faced on this day.
thanks for looking and your cc's are always welcome.
bruce

Posted by:
owlseye
Forum Contributor

by Carol Clarke on Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:42 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Nicely done, it works for me Bruce! The face and front paws are the main elements in sea otter images, and they are the main point of interest - and focus here.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Cindy Marple on Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:55 pm
Cindy Marple
Member #:00038
I agree, I think you made good compromises on the technicals here and the focus on face and front paws is just right. Marine mammals in general are tough since the fur gets so dark when it's wet. I like your inclusion of the kelp which is a big part of the story for these little ones.
Cindy Marple
www.cindymarplephoto.com

3 posts |