Bison calf & coyote

Posted by Missy Mandel on Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:10 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 31 posts | 
by Methodical on Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:10 am
Methodical
Forum Contributor
A very nicely time capture. Life can be cruel.

by dissent on Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:55 am
dissent
Forum Contributor
Well done! Hard to watch - yes, but this is nature's way. Death for one is life for another.

by pleverington on Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:17 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
I would have helped the baby bison. Probably wrong to do so in many peoples eyes, but since I believe I am part of nature, and also believe my gift is my empathy, I would justify interference. Perhaps the coyote would die.They die for a lot of other reasons too.....most at the hands of men.....But nature is cruel. That equation does not condemn man to a back seat though. I intervene whenever I see I can save the helpless. Somehow, in my mind, I have come to believe that my own empathy plays a role in the balance of nature. As imperfect as that is, that is what is. I figure if we are not meant to rule with our empathy then let that run it's course and come to be.....

Nature works on the principle of circumstance, not some preplanned formula or destiny. If that were the case adaptation would fail...

But thank you for the image and your strength having to watch and document. Take no defense in my statements as they only are what they are. Coyotes are so adaptive they outpace even us. I love them and have lived with them. My relationship is one in a billion with them. Most have no idea how wonderful they are. But I would still have saved the Bison baby...because I am human...and a part of nature...not separate from it....My empathy is nature...

Paul
Paul Leverington
"A great image is one that is created, not one that is made"

by LouBuonomo on Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:10 pm
LouBuonomo
Forum Contributor
always hard to witness... with your images this young one has not been forgotten
[url=http://www.nwpli.com]NWPLI Member[/url] http://www.westhighland-imaging.com - Member of NANPA
NSN #353

by Jamie Strickland on Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:28 pm
Jamie Strickland
Forum Contributor
pleverington wrote:I would have helped the baby bison. Probably wrong to do so in many peoples eyes, but since I believe I am part of nature, and also believe my gift is my empathy, I would justify interference. Perhaps the coyote would die.They die for a lot of other reasons too.....most at the hands of men.....But nature is cruel. That equation does not condemn man to a back seat though. I intervene whenever I see I can save the helpless. Somehow, in my mind, I have come to believe that my own empathy plays a role in the balance of nature. As imperfect as that is, that is what is. I figure if we are not meant to rule with our empathy then let that run it's course and come to be.....

Nature works on the principle of circumstance, not some preplanned formula or destiny. If that were the case adaptation would fail...

But thank you for the image and your strength having to watch and document. Take no defense in my statements as they only are what they are. Coyotes are so adaptive they outpace even us. I love them and have lived with them. My relationship is one in a billion with them. Most have no idea how wonderful they are. But I would still have saved the Bison baby...because I am human...and a part of nature...not separate from it....My empathy is nature...

Paul
Out of curiosity would that be allowed by the NPS? what would happen if they came around and saw someone doing that? I think if the mother had given up the chance of it surviving without help of a vet was very slim anyway, they seem to put a lot of time usually into trying to get them out of situations.

The photo is great, you need to enter it into some competitions because the eye contact between them is something quite unusual to and I cant imagine its not going to create emotion one way or the other to everyone who looks at it. Your very lucky to have captured and witnessed that!

by pleverington on Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:12 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
Jamie Strickland wrote:
pleverington wrote:I would have helped the baby bison. Probably wrong to do so in many peoples eyes, but since I believe I am part of nature, and also believe my gift is my empathy, I would justify interference. Perhaps the coyote would die.They die for a lot of other reasons too.....most at the hands of men.....But nature is cruel. That equation does not condemn man to a back seat though. I intervene whenever I see I can save the helpless. Somehow, in my mind, I have come to believe that my own empathy plays a role in the balance of nature. As imperfect as that is, that is what is. I figure if we are not meant to rule with our empathy then let that run it's course and come to be.....

Paul
Out of curiosity would that be allowed by the NPS? what would happen if they came around and saw someone doing that? I think if the mother had given up the chance of it surviving without help of a vet was very slim anyway, they seem to put a lot of time usually into trying to get them out of situations.

The photo is great, you need to enter it into some competitions because the eye contact between them is something quite unusual to and I cant imagine its not going to create emotion one way or the other to everyone who looks at it. Your very lucky to have captured and witnessed that!
You make a lot of assumptions it seems....Sometimes to make changes one has to fly in the face of many laws and regulations. Revolutions have shaped our lives and existences since the beginning. I feel that without a revolution in favor of animal existence and species imbalance, we are going to suffer terrible consequences. Whats the deal here...we see the losses, yet most do absolutely nothing but what they are told....It's the law!!!! they cry.......

People followed the Nazi law too didn't they? And where did that go?? Don't dismiss that argument....nazi philosophy led to 60 million people dying.....many because they simply were following orders and the  law...They felt safe and secure that they were socially accepted. Well we have all been bombarded into a delusional state with religious and eco political forces running down all and any of our natural and fellow animal inhabitants for so long most now are facing annihilation. You want that??? Then you have to fight for them.....

I'd be fine with the coyotes getting the baby bison if it weren't for one small but huge detail. We created that scenario by destroying the balance of nature. Your fine with people touting guns for fun blasting away at everything aren't you? You don't say much about billions of acres taken away from nature so that greed and gluttony may be satiated. Don't feel bad about it almost nobody does. We decimate wildlife on every front........but if old Paul would make an effort to correct the imbalances and save something that should not be destroyed he should be chastised. Bison evolved to rule the land by the billions. Look it up...The coyote is not their predator naturally...look it up. Stop looking at these issues with almost infantile, simplistic attitudes. Yeah,yeah, yeah, survival of the fittest bs. Look for deeper meanings and definitions. Look for truth, not confirmations of what your told. Use your evolved senses of empathy and humanity to judge and weigh the "Laws"...

Paul

Everything is disappearing into our man made crap bs confusion..... Get out of there.......
Paul Leverington

by Jamie Strickland on Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:28 am
Jamie Strickland
Forum Contributor
Sorry Paul I don't even know how to respond to this besides that there is absolutely no comparison between NPS rules and the Nazis.

I don't disagree that people have interfered with nature, no doubt there. But really what do you think you would have done to save this bison? if it was just separated from its mother uninjured and cornered I could see helping it but from the story told here there was nothing you could do even if you wanted to ;)

by pleverington on Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:26 am
pleverington
Forum Contributor
Jamie Strickland wrote:Sorry Paul I don't even know how to respond to this besides that there is absolutely no comparison between NPS rules and the Nazis.

I don't disagree that people have interfered with nature, no doubt there. But really what do you think you would have done to save this bison? if it was just separated from its mother uninjured and cornered I could see helping it but from the story told here there was nothing you could do even if you wanted to ;)
More assumptions Jamie. Of course there are no correlations between Nazi rules and NPS rules. That wasn't the point. My point was that if we all go around never questioning rules, never using our own empathies and our own humanity to guide us, then we all will fall victim to sub-servant appeasement and easily controlled lives. And then terrible things could possibly  follow, the worst, but clearest example are the Nazis. Before anyone makes more "assumptions" that I am advocating for a rebellion against rules and laws...... I am not. All I am saying is to not let go of things in you that have evolved for solid reasons and are a very big part of nature itself. Empathy is the big one. Without it we are nothing. It is the foundation of our survivability. What I see as the biggest problem is the rather chiseled in stone attitude that we should accept so called "Laws of nature" such as the predator should always be looked upon as the rightful victor. This may be true at times and it may not be at others. You gotta remember evolution has no goal. There are no concrete absolutes in the way evolution works. In fact there would be no evolution if there were. Life is all about what is happening at that moment and at that local. Of course now we are dealing with a new evolution one brought about by us so there are new things by the millions to take into account. So we now must intervene in so many places and so many ways if any semblance to natural worlds are to survive. It's up to us now.  Rots of Ruk huh??.......

Your second statement may be true...but then again it may not be also. To assume anything is misguided. I wasn't there, you weren't there, Missy isn't sure, nobody knows....I honestly couldn't tell you that if I interfered with things that that would be the best thing to do. I don't know 100%. Just saying I would have most likely, in this case. That bison may have injured itself on a fence trying to jump it...a common occurrence. But coyotes normally only scavenge large beasts as their  size unlike a  wolfs, is much smaller. They don't make the bison a main course unless one is sickly, dying already, caught in the process of giving birth, very small baby separated, or stuck in some mud or similar.

Coyotes are hunted because their numbers supposedly are a problem. All that jazz raises an eyebrow too. But bison are herding animals which protects them against attack. They bunch up around the little ones. Where was the herd in this case?

I just feel that man has screwed up the balance so completely now the line of the natural world to the man made one is muddled in confusion and mistakes. Patches and bandaids. One just can't knee jerk to "oh well that's how nature works"  every time anymore. The real picture must be looked at closer and from further. There just is no real natural world anywhere on Earth anymore. Think about it....

Paul
Paul Leverington

by clement on Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:31 pm
clement
Forum Contributor
Oh my goodness.. what can I say looking at this image.. just speechless.. nature is so beautiful and the animals make it so so special.. hope this kind of scenes remain in our wild for ever and ever...

by ahazeghi on Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:06 pm
ahazeghi
Forum Contributor
excellent story and powerful message. this is nature

by pleverington on Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:10 am
pleverington
Forum Contributor
ahazeghi wrote:excellent story and powerful message. this is nature
But is it really????  When we back up and take in the whole picture and understand how nature is now but a figment of what it once was and was meant to be in many aspects what are we really looking at any more??

Paul
Paul Leverington

31 posts |