White Wolf

Posted by RichardMittleman/Gon2Foto on Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:14 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 17 posts | 
Made today in Yellowstone. This wolf and her mate were just off of the road.
I was told by locals that she is the Alpha female of the Canyon Pack, is old for a wolf and is the only white wolf either in Yellowstone or in North America. If anyone knows anything more authoritative about her, I'd appreciate knowing.
Thanks

MK 1V 100-400 Handheld
http://www.gon2foto.net (current site)   
The grandeur of nature is God's glory.

Posted by:
RichardMittleman/Gon2Foto
Forum Contributor

by Mike in O on Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:11 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
White is a color phase just like black, it is very common in the Artic wolf and the famed Buffalo wolves of the Great Plains (extinct in the wild). Very nice close up shot.

by Nate Chappell on Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:18 am
Nate Chappell
Forum Contributor
Member #:00835
Cracking shot, great eye contact!
Nate Chappell
Texas and Ecuador

Birds and Wildlife photo workshops and tours

by Gary Briney on Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:58 am
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
Great shot of those piercing eyes
G. Briney

by Max Waugh on Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:34 pm
Max Waugh
Forum Contributor
Richard, this is the Canyon alpha female, one of the more famous wolves in the park (and my favorite).

She's one of the few nearly pure white wolves that one sees in Yellowstone--though not North America, as you find those a lot up north--which obviously makes her stand out.  Her mother, the former female of the Hayden Pack, was also a white wolf.  Personally, I am fond of the Canyons because they have endured despite some tough going in the early years.  They were formed around 2007/2008 after the Haydens were dispersed by the much stronger Mollies Pack (over the course of a couple days, both Hayden alphas were killed by the Mollies).  This wolf then joined up with some ex-Mollies to form the Canyon Group, which over the next couple years roamed a wide range while trying to avoid larger, stronger packs.  After a few attempts, they finally raised pups successfully for a full year, officially giving them "pack" status.  And now of course they have firmly established their own territory as the Mollies and other packs have dwindled in numbers.

As for the shot, I think it's fabulous.  This pack is pretty used to people and traffic, so it's not too surprising that you got them so close.  However, it's still one of the closest portraits I've seen of this beauty.  Great job.

Max

Last edited by Max Waugh on Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by RichardMittleman/Gon2Foto on Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:04 pm
Forum Contributor
Max Waugh wrote:Richard, this is the Canyon alpha female, one of the more famous wolves in the park (and my favorite).

She's one of the few nearly pure white wolves that one sees in Yellowstone--though not North America, as you find those a lot up north--which obviously makes her stand out.  Her mother, the former female of the Hayden Pack, was also a white wolf.  Personally, I am fond of the Canyons because they have endured despite some tough going in the early years.  They were formed around 2007/2008 after the Haydens were dispersed by the much stronger Mollies Pack (over the course of a couple days, both Hayden alphas were killed by the Mollies).  This wolf then joined up some ex-Mollies to form the Canyon Group, which over the next couple years roamed a wide range while trying to avoid larger, stronger packs.  After a few attempts, they finally raised pups successfully for a full year, officially giving them "pack" status.  And now of course they have firmly established their own territory as the Mollies and other packs have dwindled in numbers.

As for the shot, I think it's fabulous.  This pack is pretty used to people and traffic, so it's not too surprising that you got them so close.  However, it's still one of the closest portraits I've seen of this beauty.  Great job.

Max
Thanks for all of the info Max. She has an obvious limp now which others have also seen. An injury during a hunting attack or arthritis? She doesn't look as if she'd be much help now in running down an elk

by Max Waugh on Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:33 pm
Max Waugh
Forum Contributor
Last time I saw her was in the spring, and she had a limp then too (if you jump to the 8:13 mark of the Yellowstone video I just published, you can see this).  I'm not sure if it's the same malady/injury as what you saw now, but perhaps you can tell.  Back in May, she was traveling fine with the rest of the pack despite the limp, going back and forth between Hayden Valley and up toward Norris.  Still, they didn't have any pups this year that we know of, so maybe old age is finally catching up to her.

Max

by Graeme Guy on Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:48 pm
Graeme Guy
Forum Contributor
Member #:01714
Richard

A very nice close-up portrait. Great eye contact.

Graeme
Graeme Guy
Penang,
Malaysia

http://grguy.smugmug.com

by EGrav on Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:36 pm
EGrav
Forum Contributor
Actually, the arctic wolves in northern Canada are all white. Their numbers are down but still a significant number. The Agate female alpha in Yellowstone was white (she was killed by the Mollies) and I think there were one or two other all white wolves in the Greater Yellowstone ecosystem in the recent past. They are uncommon but not rare.
This is a great shot. Congrats. 
E

body{zoom:119%!important;}

by RichardMittleman/Gon2Foto on Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:20 am
Forum Contributor
Max Waugh wrote:Last time I saw her was in the spring, and she had a limp then too (if you jump to the 8:13 mark of the Yellowstone video I just published, you can see this).  I'm not sure if it's the same malady/injury as what you saw now, but perhaps you can tell.  Back in May, she was traveling fine with the rest of the pack despite the limp, going back and forth between Hayden Valley and up toward Norris.  Still, they didn't have any pups this year that we know of, so maybe old age is finally catching up to her.

Max
Max,
I watched a couple of your Yellowstone videos and they are absolutely outstanding.

by Ed Cordes on Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:22 am
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
Stunning expression of a beautiful animal. Can you consider cropping the bottom OOF rock out of the frame? I really like the exposure; you handled it well.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by Cindy Marple on Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:18 pm
Cindy Marple
Member #:00038
Lovely portrait of this pretty lady Richard. So alert and piercing gaze with those yellow eyes.
Cindy Marple
www.cindymarplephoto.com

by jerryb on Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:48 pm
jerryb
Forum Contributor
Nice portrait framed by the pine.
Larger sized samples of my work can be seen on Google Plus at https://plus.google.com/u/0/+JerryBarnettPhoto

by Bruce Sherman on Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:08 pm
Bruce Sherman
Forum Contributor
Hi Richard,

Wonderful shot! My wife and I were in Yellowstone in January 2013 and had a great encounter with the same wolf. You can see my pic of her at http://www.pbase.com/brucesherman/image/148659992.

I can't decide which I like better - this shot or your shot of the jumping Red Fox. Both are KILLER!!!!!
Bruce Sherman
[url]http://www.pbase.com/brucesherman[/url]

by RichardMittleman/Gon2Foto on Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:07 pm
Forum Contributor
Thanks Bruce and yours is pretty cool too

by Carol Clarke on Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:04 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
While I've been away you've posted some stunning work Richard. This is another beauty!
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Jamie Strickland on Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:35 pm
Jamie Strickland
Forum Contributor
Great photo of her, I got some shots of both of them the first week of oct but I was nowhere near as close unfortunately :(

She had a limp the day I saw her also. They were my closest encounter of wolves so far out of the 4 visits to yellowstone so I was like a kid on xmas morning, it made the whole trip worthwhile.

17 posts |