Hognose Pit Viper, Costa Rica

Posted by owlseye on Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:18 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
I tried to take an ant's view of this snake. It was a bit challenging given the foreground vegetation and the proximity of the shooting. Fortunately, the snake remained calm in an attempt to be "invisible." I did capture a number of different perspectives, but am curious about whether the foreground moss (especially behind the head) detracts from the portrait or if it adds to the intimacy and suggests a sense of place. Clearly, given the poisonous nature of this snake, I did not want to groom the landscape too close to its head.

Canon 5D mark II and Canon 180 f3.5L @ f5.6

thanks for looking,
bruce

Posted by:
owlseye
Forum Contributor

by Mike in O on Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:19 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Interesting shot...personally I would drop the background and make snake's head the focus. As to your comment about grooming the ferns, I would have done a Bear Geryais (sp) and threatened him with being eaten if he didn't move to a better position. All kidding aside, accept what nature gives you and stop thinking it should be formal English garden.

by owlseye on Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:48 am
owlseye
Forum Contributor
Mike O said, "Interesting shot...personally I would drop the background,..."
Just to follow up Mike... I assume you are suggesting a panorama crop (?),... now that I look at it, this would not be a bad idea, as it would tighten the perspective on the snake. I'm a bit old school, and still think that cropping is "cheating," though I'm not sure why I continue to hold on to this rather strange perspective (no pun intended).
regards,
bruce

by Carol Clarke on Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:20 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
You say you took a variety of shots so you have choices.. Looking at this version I like the use of negative space and the natural vegetation setting, it does indeed give a sense of place - as you say.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Graeme Guy on Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:17 am
Graeme Guy
Forum Contributor
Member #:01714
Interesting shot but, a mentioned there is a lot of empty space...though likely it was not wise to get closer.

Graeme
Graeme Guy
Penang,
Malaysia

http://grguy.smugmug.com

5 posts |