snug as a bug

Posted by GHAMILTON on Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:50 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
Grizzly and cub in Yellowstone N.P.

(Taken several years ago-EXIF data not available)

About 75 very serious photographers were waiting in one spot at Swan Lake Flats for this sow and her 2 cubs to reappear since they had been frequenting that area for several days.  After waiting for hours with no sign of them, I got hungry and took a quick drive down to Mammoth Hot Springs to get some snacks.  On my way back to Swan Lake Flats, just before the waterfall on the left side, the bears crossed the road going to my right.  They nursed for a few moments and, when I changed my position to get a better angle, I looked up and saw this interaction.  None of the other 75 photographers knew this was happening only 1/4 mile away so I got the only image.  Note: I didn't notice in my viewfinder that there was a tiny dead twig obscuring a small part of the upper right portion of the image, leaving that spot a little blurry.  All in all, I'm pretty happy with the image, though. :D 

Thanks for looking.   

Posted by:
GHAMILTON
Forum Contributor

by WDCarrier on Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:07 am
WDCarrier
Forum Contributor
Likely the best grizzly image I've seen in a long time.
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” MLK[/font]

by GHAMILTON on Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:07 pm
GHAMILTON
Forum Contributor
Thanks so much...I am humbled.  I made the mistake of shooting this as a JPEG instead of RAW--it took a lot of trial and error to process it given the limitations I faced.  Still kicking myself--why was my camera set to JPEG only???  The memory of this moment is something that will always stay with me, though.

by Carol Clarke on Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:44 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Certainly a case of right place, right time, and you got this lovely intimate scene! I'm not too sure about the colour tones but I love the interaction you caught here.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Cindy Marple on Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:09 pm
Cindy Marple
Member #:00038
What a wonderful, special moment you captured, such precious interaction between mom and cub. I like your composition with enough space all around for them to "breathe". Bummer about the jpeg! But at least you have a very useable image. This does seem a bit over-sharpened to me, although that may simply be the nature of the fur that's giving me that impression.
Cindy Marple
www.cindymarplephoto.com

by Missy Mandel on Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:38 am
Missy Mandel
Forum Contributor
Member #:01973
A beautiful and special image. The interaction is fantastic!
Missy Mandel
Toronto, Canada
Comments and critiques welcomed.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/missymandel/
www.missymandel.ca
Instagram missymandel_photography

by Graeme Guy on Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:19 pm
Graeme Guy
Forum Contributor
Member #:01714
The protective stance is just great. Pays to go in the other direction from the mob

Graeme
Graeme Guy
Penang,
Malaysia

http://grguy.smugmug.com

7 posts |