Bushmaster

Posted by Asnyder5 on Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:31 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
Greetings everyone!

Firstly, I need to apologize for my absence over the last few months, not that many members likely remember me anyway. I'm hoping to change that though.

For a bit of a background, I am a herpetologist (studies reptiles and amphibians) who spends most of my time working in Guyana, South America. Some of the time I am conducting my own personal PhD work, but I also lead the reptile and amphibian surveys for the joint research team established by World Wildlife Fund-Guianas and Global Wildlife Conservation called the Biodiversity Assessment Team.

Anyway, more on the picture. This summer I spent a few weeks surveying in the little studied Kanuku Mountains of south-central Guyana. The morning and evening hours are generally the most productive in terms of activity, and then I spend the daytime hours photographing them and doing whatever necessary science is required. 

I have been incredibly fortunate during my last few trips to have encountered the bushmaster (Lachesis muta). Generally they are quite uncommon, greatly feared by locals throughout their range and killed on the spot. On the way back to camp from our second to last night hike, I found this male bushmaster coiled near the buttress roots of a large rainforest tree. Being that it was quite late and I was very tired, I opted to carefully catch it and work with it the following day when I was better rested. It also made for better photo opportunities.

Hope you like it!
Andrew

Technicals:
Nikon D300s | Sigma 15mm | 2 off camera flashes | f/16 | 1/3 sec | ISO400
Andrew Snyder

Posted by:
Asnyder5
Forum Contributor

by Carol Clarke on Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:12 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
I wish that bright diagonal stem/leaf? above the head wasn't there as it catches my eye and draws it away from the snake. That said, it is always nice to see different species from other countries that I know I will never visit!
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Cindy Marple on Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:20 pm
Cindy Marple
Member #:00038
I love the use of the wide angle to give us a look not only of the animal but it's attractive habitat. Good work with the flashes to produce natural-looking lighting and no harsh shadows.
Cindy Marple
www.cindymarplephoto.com

by David J. Bogener on Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:12 pm
David J. Bogener
Forum Contributor
Member #:00763
Wow 15mm seems scary close. Excellent image. Agree that the diagonal stem above the snake really pulls the eye.

4 posts |