A Life Saved

Posted by Brent R Paull on Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:35 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
This black bear coy rests atop a snapped off pine trunk, about 30' in the air, seconds after being attacked by a boar black bear.  His quick run to this tree, his ability to run straight up it to the top, and his ferocious mother doing battle with the boar - saved him.  She drove the boar off and up a hillside (where I was) and moments later called both cubs down from their respective trees.  They meandered away, feeding on occasional pine cones, as if this happened every day - and maybe it does - because she used to have three cubs.

It was a first for me to see this kind of bear behavior in person.  Shooting in the dark conifer forest is difficult at best, even at ISO 3200 or higher.  All my images of the fight and chase are blurry - though you can still see what's happening.  I'm always glad for those few moment when animals and birds in the deep forest pause - like this cub resting his head on the trunk and watching his mother below him.

Photographed in Sequoia National Park in California on Wednesday, August 20, 2014.  Nikon D3s body, 500mm f4 lens, ISO 3200, f4 at 1/800, +.33 eV, Indura tripod, raw converted to jpg in CS6.
Brent Russell Paull // American West Photo Safaris
http://www.amwestphoto.com 

Posted by:
Brent R Paull
Forum Contributor

by Karl Egressy on Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:18 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
Great story well told and a nice image to boot.

by owlseye on Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:56 pm
owlseye
Forum Contributor
Great story Brent and very nice photograph. Your perspective suggests that the cub was just on a stump rather than aloft... did you, by chance, get any shots illustrating the scale of the cub relative to its perch?
regards,
bruce

by Cindy Marple on Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:33 pm
Cindy Marple
Member #:00038
Cool thing to witness!
Cindy Marple
www.cindymarplephoto.com

by Morkel Erasmus on Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:45 am
Morkel Erasmus
Forum Contributor
Super cute image and great story!
I'd try and extract a little more detail from the cub's coat?
Morkel Erasmus
www.morkelerasmus.com

by Brent R Paull on Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:40 am
Brent R Paull
Forum Contributor
owlseye wrote:Great story Brent and very nice photograph. Your perspective suggests that the cub was just on a stump rather than aloft... did you, by chance, get any shots illustrating the scale of the cub relative to its perch?
regards,
bruce

The action took place in a little bowl along the rolling forest floor.  I was up the side of the bowl, maybe 20-25 feet above the bears that were about 40 yards away initially - and the cub climbed the 30' broken tree trunk and was pretty eye level to me.  I might be shooting up slightly.  This image is cropped in a little, but no so much that I have a shot showing the whole 30' trunk, which wouldn't be possible with a 500mm lens.  Also, I shot it as a horizontal and cropped it to vertical as that composition better tells the story than a horizontal shot.

With only seconds to shoot there is no thought other than getting the shot: I firmed up the tripod in the pine straw of the forest floor, made exposure compensation adjustments for the backlighting in the forest canopy - which is only barely visible in this crop but much more pronounced in the original image, and changing the focusing grid to the cub's head.... and then rocking the motordrive until the buffer was full.
Brent Russell Paull // American West Photo Safaris
http://www.amwestphoto.com 

by Graeme Guy on Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:34 pm
Graeme Guy
Forum Contributor
Member #:01714
Brent

I like a nice story accompanying an image and this is a good one. Well done on both counts.

Graeme
Graeme Guy
Penang,
Malaysia

http://grguy.smugmug.com

7 posts |