Rainforest Prowl

Posted by Connor Stefanison on Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:21 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 15 posts | 
Bobcat
Greater Vancouver Area, B.C, Canada

This past fall, winter, and spring, I made an effort to learn how to use a camera trap. Setting up in a local rainforest, I dispersed some raw deer bones in the area to see what would come by. I figured that by using this to attract animals, I could speed up my camera trap learning curve by attracting frequent subjects. My camera trap works by having the subject break an infrared beam, which sends a signal to take a set number of photos. I ended up getting this bobcat just about every week that I checked the camera. 

Overall, I found that camera trapping is quite possibly the toughest type of photography that I have ever done. Almost every week that I checked the camera, I had made some sort of silly error, or the wet weather would cover the lens in condensation. Another challenge was having the bobcat be in an ideal pose. Finally, after months of trying, I ended up getting some decent results!

Trailmaster 1550-PS  |  Canon Rebel XTI  |  15mm  |  F10  |  1/80  |  ISO 400  |  3 flashes

Thanks for looking!

Posted by:
Connor Stefanison
NANPA Scholar

by Coreyhkh on Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:45 pm
Coreyhkh
Forum Contributor
Awesome work Conner I am interested in this type of photography and was wondering if you could show some pics of your setup? do you place the camera and flashes in an enclosure?
-------------------------------------
http://www.coreyhayes.net

by Robert Sabin on Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:00 pm
Robert Sabin
Forum Contributor
Coreyhkh wrote:Awesome work Conner I am interested in this type of photography and was wondering if you could show some pics of your setup? do you place the camera and flashes in an enclosure?

by Juan Carlos Vindas on Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:00 pm
Juan Carlos Vindas
Forum Contributor
Really nice product!
Lovely cat, habitat and excellent job on the set up as it depicts the natural habitat of this wonderful feline.

by mikfox1 on Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:36 pm
mikfox1
Forum Contributor
beautiful image... nice techs too...great work.

by paulo on Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:42 am
paulo
Forum Contributor
Beautiful animal/habitat shot. Congartulations.

by william bickle on Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:26 am
william bickle
Forum Contributor
Hello Connor

Great to see. Personally I prefer to "be there" !

Nothing moves me like a stealthy animal appears in your viewfinder , looking at you and freezes for a moment to remember!

I think trap photography has its place to see what is in the area but I would not consider it to be something to replace my "Being there"

Thanks for sharing

Bill

by JessFindlay on Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:00 pm
JessFindlay
Forum Contributor
Your persistence paid off big time with this one. Knowing the amount of work that went into this makes it even more impressive! Although some people may not believe this time of photography to be "natural", capturing an otherwise impossible moment, letting viewers into the world of an elusive animal such as this is incredibly important for conservation, both on a local and global scale. Also, there is much to be said about the amount of tinkering with perspective, flash angles/power and general camera techs that goes into retaining a natural feel to the final photograph.

by jerryb on Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:15 pm
jerryb
Forum Contributor
Nicely done comp, detail and raised foot. I do not care how close you were to the camera when it went off :)
Larger sized samples of my work can be seen on Google Plus at https://plus.google.com/u/0/+JerryBarnettPhoto

by Connor Stefanison on Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:11 am
Connor Stefanison
NANPA Scholar
william bickle wrote:Hello Connor

Great to see. Personally I prefer to "be there" !

Nothing moves me like a stealthy animal appears in your viewfinder , looking at you and freezes for a moment to remember!

I think trap photography has its place to see what is in the area but I would not consider it to be something to replace my "Being there"

Thanks for sharing

Bill
Same here Bill, I always enjoy being with the animals more than sitting at school while the camera trap does the work. Although, if this type of image was possible handheld, I wouldn't have invested in all the trap gear. I must say, it is super exciting when you walk up to the camera trap and see a positive number of hits! In the time that you're not at the trap, all you can think about is if an animal is visiting it or not. 

by Joe McDonald on Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:11 am
Joe McDonald
Forum Contributor
Member #:01131
Hi Connor,
Nice work! I've been doing this since I was your age and it is fun. Besides the Trailmaster, which you may use, the Range IR and the Phototrap are good alternatives. For those interested, I taught a course on this (flash and traps) this past summer, and hopefully will do so again in 2015 July. Keep up the great work and hope to see more BBC stuff!
Joe McDonald at hoothollow.com

by Cindy Marple on Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:10 pm
Cindy Marple
Member #:00038
Your efforts really paid off here Connor, especially with the lighting which looks quite natural. Use of a remote setup for elusive (and/or skittish) animals, especially when done this well, certainly allows for some unique imagery.
Cindy Marple
www.cindymarplephoto.com

by Alan Murphy on Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:21 pm
Alan Murphy
Lifetime Member
Member #:00014
Brilliant work Connor.
Alan Murphy
NSN 0014
www.alanmurphyphotography.com

by Mike Lentz on Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:54 pm
Mike Lentz
Forum Contributor
Superb young man!!
Mike Lentz
Nikon gear

by Tom Reichner on Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:31 am
Tom Reichner
Forum Contributor
Coreyhkh wrote:Awesome work Conner I am interested in this type of photography and was wondering if you could show some pics of your setup? do you place the camera and flashes in an enclosure?

I, too, am interested in seeing a response to these questions.
Wildlife photographed in the wild

http://www.tomreichner.com/Wildlife

15 posts |