Moksgm'ol

Posted by william bickle on Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:29 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
KERMODE Bear or known by the Natives as "Moksgmol"   

This large male bear was perched on the moss covered log & seems to be focused on the small flowering plant in front of him, while searching the river for returning salmon prior to his winter dormancy (Hibernation).
The KERMODE Bear ( Ursus americanus kermodei) also know as "Spirit Bear" , is a subspecies of the American Black Bear living in the north pacific coast of British Columbia , Canada,  and noted for their white cream-coloured coats.
This colour morph is due to a recessive allele common in the population. They are Not Albinos!
The weather was nasty, with several hurricane like storms accompanied with very high winds on our tail. We were only able to spend about 1 hour in this location before trekking back to the Mothership and sail off to find secure and safe anchorage to ride out the oncoming storms.
Because of their ghost-like appearance , "Spirit Bears" hold a prominent place in the mythology of the Canadian First Nations people of this area. 

The Great Bear Rainforest where this capture took place , is so remote that it is one of the few remaining inhabitable parts of the world that is Completely black at night as seen on satellite images. 

D700, @ 330mm lens with vr on normal, 1/160, ISO800, F7.1. -.33 Meter compensation, Handheld while scrambling the rivers edge and fallen trees.

Comments & Critique appreciated. 

Bill

Posted by:
william bickle
Forum Contributor

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:38 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Great details, exposure and color on this one. For f7.1, there is great DOF. Is this a significant crop?

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by william bickle on Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:19 pm
william bickle
Forum Contributor
Hello SF Joe

This is about 65% of Full Frame. Mostly Straightened and Highly reflective rivers water from bottom Cropped.

Remember this encounter So well... Was So Pumped and climbing the fallen slippery logs , my camera was sometimes at 45 degree angle. Very dark circumstances with RainForest, Raining, Overcast, etc.. Was concerned about High ISO & getting it under control .

Thanks for viewing.

Bill

by Robert Sabin on Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:23 pm
Robert Sabin
Forum Contributor
A Beauty

by Tyohar Kastiel on Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:51 pm
Tyohar Kastiel
Forum Contributor
beautiful photo of the ghost creature

by Carol Clarke on Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:54 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
A lovely close up of this iconic bear of myth and folklore with sweet detail. I hope you also have some wider views showing more of the rainforest habitat - for me the atmosphere and mystery of these creatures and their environment is severely reduced when portrayed too close. Just my two cents worth.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by william bickle on Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:10 pm
william bickle
Forum Contributor
Thanks for your Feedback, Greatly appreciated!

Carol.... Quite an intense encounter with minimal time. This is my first spirit bear capture & was very excited to finally get within camera range. Using a 200-400 mm lens with most images @ 400mm but a few where I backed of to include some environment. I will look into these images and see whether any are suitable to display here.
I was thinking Spirit Bear then and wanted detailed Up close captures mostly.

I am returning this October to the Great Bear Rainforest , armed with this experience and hoping for more suitable weather! :)

Thanks for viewing and critiques everyone!

Bill
www.BillBickle.com

I was thinking Spirit Bear

by Nate Chappell on Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:36 pm
Nate Chappell
Forum Contributor
Member #:00835
Beautiful bear and setting here Bill, nicely done!
Nate Chappell
Texas and Ecuador

Birds and Wildlife photo workshops and tours

by Ron Day on Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:07 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
Bill, another very cool Spirit Bear frame! I like the way the bear is standing here - its pose. I prefer the exposure here over your previous Spirit Bear image, because the fur on this bear is brighter and lighter in appearance. It seems to stand out better. All the best as you return to shoot these bears in October .

9 posts |