First unread post  | 8 posts | 
Remote Camera trap

Posted by:
dcallet
Forum Contributor

by david fletcher on Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:26 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Denis, this is probably something special and one I don't have so I take my hat off to you. Remote don't do good on IQ but hey! that's what it's not always about. TFS
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Carol Clarke on Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:39 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
You are certainly getting a nice variety with your camera trap Denis, Mountain Lion, Foxes and now Bobcat. It must be exciting when you check and find you actually got a decent image - makes me wonder what the ratio is for keepers against rejects. Do you have any idea?
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by milosphotos on Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:21 am
milosphotos
Forum Contributor
Great find but as mentioned the IQ is lacking here.
Milo Burcham
Cordova, Alaska
http://www.milosphotos.com

by dcallet on Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:21 am
dcallet
Forum Contributor
Actually Camera Trapping is a lot more difficult than regular wildlife photography, it required to have tracking skill and required to hike deep in the wilderness with a lot of gear, right now I’m operating 5 DSLR with external flash in rugged area. For sure the IQ is not what I want it to be but by building better trigger sensor I 'm confident i will achieved better IQ, in the case of this cat the flash fail due to a bear activity. The ratio of decent picture is ok but will improve with time. Remember there is no one behind the camera, so your have to make assumption where the subject is going to present itself. Also you might have one shot at a subject which make every more complex, Mtn Lion don't always show up in the same spot for month at time. You might set a camera and find out the system fail after a month when you return. Great Success is always precede by great failure.

by Carol Clarke on Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:46 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
I appreciate it takes a lot of commitment and I admire your perseverance.  :)
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Cindy Marple on Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:53 pm
Cindy Marple
Member #:00038
I really like the scene you've captured, such an interesting and different perspective you can obtain with this technique. I wonder could you brighten it up some in your post-processing? I hope you're shooting raw!
Cindy Marple
www.cindymarplephoto.com

by dcallet on Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:51 am
dcallet
Forum Contributor
Yes i could brighten the picture a little and I'm shooting raw, the issue with this shot was the week before bear went on rampage and broke the cable which connect the flash to the camera, I did not have replacement at the time so I left the camera setup on AV and expose at the time I was there but since i' not behind the camera the exposure condition change over time so. This picture was taken at 6PM and expose at 10 in the morning. That why the flash are so important but sometime you run out of luck but I’m used to it, that’s what make camera trapping so existing and you might capture a behavior you could not see with regular wildlife photography, unless you are using a blind and stay for days at time.

8 posts |