Alta Township - Colorado

Posted by Brent R Paull on Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:14 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 2 posts | 
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]One of the buildings at the Alta Mine Townsite, in the San Juan Mountains of Colorado, that we photographed this past end of September (there were other subjects besides the lynx). These buildings hold so much history, so many people's dreams from a bygone era when mining was a potential source of riches. I like this image due to the uncovered window at frame right and the weathered texture of t[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]he wood. Who stood inside that window and watched the comings and goings 130 years ago? AC electric current was first used here by Tesla, and this stunning new technology allowed machines to replace horses, allowed miners to see without candles, and brought communications to the mountains. At about 10,000 feet up, the winters must have been brutal, and the daily trudge to the actual mine shafts, the level of physical labor - not to mention the danger - that these folks endured just amazes me. But the lure was there, one success led to thousands of other attempts - miners and those that followed them - and from those attempts came the character of the American West.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Nikon D3s body, Nikon 18-35mm lens, ISO 200, f11 at 1/350, -.5eV, handheld, raw converted to jpg in CS6.[/font]
Brent Russell Paull // American West Photo Safaris
http://www.amwestphoto.com 

Posted by:
Brent R Paull
Forum Contributor

by Gary Briney on Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:47 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
Great story Brent -- this place looks like it would have been cozy enough back when.
G. Briney

2 posts |