casting in the sunset

Posted by kevinfeenstra on Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:08 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
I was trying to shoot a time-lapse of fly fishing in the winter sunset.  Unfortunately, much to my chagrin the camera battery died due to extremely cold temperatures a few moments in.  However, I was left with this still image which I liked.   It is a self portrait of sorts. 

1/5 f10@ 14mm, iso 200 with nd filter

Thank you for looking

Posted by:
kevinfeenstra
Forum Contributor

by Matthew Pugh on Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:37 am
Matthew Pugh
Member #:00345
Hi

It's funny but the image does have a chilly sort of feel even though there are some nice warming colours - and a very nice shot this is too. I like it, I think I'd prefer to see all of the rod; but that's probably just me

All the best
Matthew

by Gary Briney on Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:53 am
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
Beautiful capture Kevin -- I love the liquid gold reflection! In a perfect world I would rather the fly rod didn't merge with the tree branches. It does look chilly out there, especially with the wet spot creeping up the back of your coat!
G. Briney

by James W. Milligan on Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:33 pm
James W. Milligan
Lifetime Member
Member #:00249
I love the overall feel of the image,great light with an interesting row of trees on the far bank. I do agree with the rod issue-a cast from the left would have worked nicely. since I am a fly fishing person, I am also interested in what you are fishing for and your location. The rod and the cast suggests maybe salmon or large trout. I am small stream trout and bass fisherman and we don't see that type of rod or two handed cast. Hope you caught dinner.
jim

by quintfineartphoto on Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:45 pm
quintfineartphoto
Forum Contributor
Great sky and use of nd filter.

by kevinfeenstra on Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:45 pm
kevinfeenstra
Forum Contributor
James W. Milligan wrote:I love the overall feel of the image,great light with an interesting  row of trees on the far bank. I do agree with the rod issue-a cast from the left would have worked nicely. since I am a fly fishing person,  I am  also interested in what you are fishing for and your location. The rod and the cast suggests maybe salmon or large trout. I am small stream trout and bass fisherman and we don't see that type of rod or two handed cast. Hope you caught dinner.
jim

Hi James:   Thank you for the nice comment!   I am a fishing guide by profession; this is my primary river, the Muskegon.    The rod is something we use a lot in the winter; it is a 14 foot 9 weight.    I am fishing for steelhead in this image.   

by D7avid on Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:33 am
D7avid
Forum Contributor
Great shot.Besides photography flyfishing is a real passion for me.Love the mood and the lighting here.

7 posts |