Street Portrait

Posted by DarkSide on Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:19 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
This is Jonathan, a local street person.

I am working on a long term project while doing my street photography. I do not exploit. I sit and talk with these folks, offer them food or money, shake their hand and make them feel like they are good people. Once I have enough photos I hope to create a book with all the profits going to the local shelter and food bank.

Canon 5dMkIII 50 1.4 taken from about 2 feet away while talking.
Life is short - shoot good glass!

Posted by:
DarkSide
Forum Contributor

by Gary Briney on Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:43 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
Santa's down on his luck?
G. Briney

by Matthew Pugh on Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:19 am
Matthew Pugh
Member #:00345
Hi

An interesting project to under take - and although I don't dislike the image I don't feel it is portraying what you wish it too (or perhaps that's just what I think it should portray). For me these image sorts always hold more power, provoke more powerful emotions if you prefer, when they display contrast. That's image element contrast rather than tonal contrast.

As a stand alone portrait - the left side is imo very weak, or distracting, because of the strong lines present. Flipping into a vertical format and sticking to a simple head / shoulder view might have been a better option in this case imo. The gentleman does have character and this is brought out by the mono look, simplifying the comp would also help bring this fourth

Hope my comments help - and if not please ignore then (LOL)

All the best
Matthew

by DarkSide on Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:23 am
DarkSide
Forum Contributor
I appreciate your comments. The upclose photo was used to show that we were sitting talking, rather than most of the street "sniper" shots taken from a distance. The brick wall and pipe in the background, to me, give a sense of place; the street.
Life is short - shoot good glass!

4 posts |