In Search of the Perfect Image

Posted by James W. Milligan on Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:54 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
Trekking through the dunes at Stovepipe Wells is a bit of a chore but it is worth it. The grand vista of the dunes with the mountains in the background is a reminder of the work of mother nature. I find the grand landscape  image to be a bit of a challenge. Therefore,I look for patterns and texture in the sand. Then when you think you have the image you want the light changes and the image is completely different. It can't get any better!

Posted by:
James W. Milligan
Lifetime Member
Member #:00249

by Gary Briney on Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:05 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
I really like the composition with the sharply defined shadow curving across the dune, and the mystery about what's on the other side.
G. Briney

by Jens Peermann on Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:00 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
I've always been convinced that photography is not a team sport, But pictures like this make me wonder if I might be wrong. :?

I like how you carefully compose and show the details in the sand, even for a casual shot.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by James W. Milligan on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:56 am
James W. Milligan
Lifetime Member
Member #:00249
Jens Peermann wrote:I've always been convinced that photography is not a team sport, But pictures like this make me wonder if I might be wrong. :?

I like how you carefully compose and show the details in the sand, even for a casual shot.
Thanks for the comments. To be honest , this is a casual shot or as I often say ,"a drive by shot". I was focused on the foot prints in the sand and the interesting patterns being formed. As I finished up with my images I looked at my group and this was a story unto itself. 

I liked your comment about photography as a team sport. Actually we grouped into small packs to help prevent to many foot prints and  people in ones image.  Shooting in a small group, one might think everyone is looking at the same image,not so with this crowd. I was amazed at the variety of vision and interpretation of the images .

4 posts |