Lake Tahoe Afternoon

Posted by Jens Peermann on Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:41 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
With views like this it's no surprise that many houses around here cost as much as a whole village in Iowa.

EOS 5D2, 100/2 ZE @ f/8
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

Posted by:
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor

by Gary Briney on Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:44 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
Lovely view alright Jens -- an Iowa village maybe, but probably not much more than a section of good Iowa farmland. ;)
G. Briney

by Jens Peermann on Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:24 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
Gary Briney wrote:...an Iowa village maybe, but probably not much more than a section of good Iowa farmland. ;)
I had some business in Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin, a year or two ago and traveled there via backroads through northeastern Iowa. One village I passed through had a "For Sale" sign, along with a sign stating the asked price, on almost every other house. I remember that the lowest was $1,700 (yep, seventeen hundred; no typo) and that only one house was priced in the 5-digit range: $11,500 for a two-story building. 

The average home around Lake Tahoe sells for between 1.5 and 2 million. I figured that at the rates I saw back then, that must be enough to pay for a whole Iowa village.

by Gary Briney on Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:26 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
Jens Peermann wrote:...I had some business in Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin, a year or two ago and traveled there via backroads through northeastern Iowa. One village I passed through had a "For Sale" sign, along with a sign stating the asked price, on almost every other house. I remember that the lowest was $1,700 (yep, seventeen hundred; no typo) and that only one house was priced in the 5-digit range: $11,500 for a two-story building. 

The average home around Lake Tahoe sells for between 1.5 and 2 million. I figured that at the rates I saw back then, that must be enough to pay for a whole Iowa village.

Pretty amazing -- maybe it was one of those places where methane comes out with the water when you open a faucet! I was using a ballpark figure of 10k/acre for good flat farmland, so  a section would be 6.4M.
G. Briney

by Scott Kacos on Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:31 pm
Scott Kacos
Lifetime Member
Member #:00321
I really like the height and depth of the mountains...the houses add perspective.
Scott
NSN 0321

by Sven Bernert on Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:04 am
Sven Bernert
Lifetime Member
Member #:00086
To me this is a real stunner. To second Scott I too love the perspective gained through inclusion of the foreground houses.
If you are out there shooting, things will happen for you. If you're not out there, you'll only hear about it. - Jay Maisel

Regards from the heart of Switzerland
NSN0086

by Jens Peermann on Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:13 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
Sven Bernert wrote:To me this is a real stunner.

I had a similar reaction first time I saw the image full size on the screen. I had taken a shot from this point so many times, I usually don't even stop there any more. I only took this one to see how this lens handles the scene. Well, not only does it handle the scene very well, this is by far the best rendition of it any lens has given me so far.

7 posts |