Sign In

Join the largest online community for nature
photographers. An account to participate in
our forums is free! We also offer other
membership options.

Please enter the email address associated with your account. If you have not edited this in your
profile then enter the email address that you used when creating your account.

Trouble Signing In?

We apologize if you are having problems signing in. With our latest website upgrades there have been some changes that may cause a sign in problem until cookies are cleared using the steps below.
  1. Navigate to Forums Home in the website navigation bar and click on the link Delete all board cookies located under the Browse Forums page title.
  2. Close all NatureScapes tabs/windows and exit the browser entirely.
  3. Open the browser and make sure it's not opening up any NatureScapes pages.
  4. Delete the NSN-specific cookies in your browser or, if you don't have an objection, delete all cookies. The NSN cookies have either .naturescapes.net or .www.naturescapes.net as part of their name. For help with deleting cookies in your browser please check out this helpful guide on www.aboutcookies.org.
  5. Exit the browser again, reopen it, and try to sign in again.
If deleting board and browser cookies does not resolve your issue please send us an email at editors@naturescapes.net with the following information: We are committed to providing quality customer service and website support. We will respond to your email as quickly as possible.

Packed with articles, tips, workshop news, store coupons, sales alerts and more!

We respect your privacy—your email address will not be shared or sold. You may unsubscribe at any time and control which
newsletters you receive.

Lunar Eclipse take 2

Posted by RITMAN on Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
Still messing around trying to learn layers, stacking, masks, etc. This one is closer to what I am after. I wanted to show that the eclipse started while it was dark and ended when it had gotten quite a bit lighter outside. I think this does that. Unfortunately, while the moon was in deepest shadow, it went into a bank of marine layer haze and disappeared. As last one, each shot is 10 mins apart, all at iso 200 and varying shutter speeds. I layered all the dark images together (first 8 moons from top to bottom), then layered that image onto the last moon (which was quite lighter, and used a gradient mask spanning the whole photo from top to bottom to make the top portion dark and the bottom portion lighter. I am sure I did this the hard way but as mentioned before, I've never tried this and am fumbling through various books to learn this (I am not a great book learner,need actual demonstrations to really get it). Fun to try though. Taken at Windnsea beach in La Jolla California with a Canon 5DII, 24-105 lens at about 50 mm. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Steve Shuey
"Do or do not, there is no try" Yoda

Posted by:
RITMAN
Lifetime Member

Member #:01479

by kahkityoong on Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:38 pm
kahkityoong
Forum Contributor
Well put together. The balance of lighting works well between sky and foreground.

by john on Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:46 am
john
Lifetime Member
Member #:00404
I need to try this. Looks good to me.

by Paul Klenck on Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:29 pm
Paul Klenck
Member #:00221
Your efforts sure paid off! The light gradient in subtle and very effect. The color on the bottom is much improved, too.
Paul Klenck

Twitter: http://twitter.com/PaulKlenck

by Kyle McDougall on Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:17 pm
Kyle McDougall
Forum Contributor
Really well executed. You've handled the processing of this image perfectly!
Kyle McDougall - Canadian Landscape Photographer
Photography Blog: http://www.kylemcdougallphoto.com/blog

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:09 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Absolutely love it. Duplicating the layer and using s Screen blend would make it even better.

by RITMAN on Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:45 pm
RITMAN
Lifetime Member
Member #:01479
Thanks for the comments. E.J. what is an s screen blend? AS mentioned I have never done this before. Never heard of an s screen blend.
Steve Shuey
"Do or do not, there is no try" Yoda

7 posts | 

People Who Like This: