Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by jdebraekeleer on Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:47 am
jdebraekeleer
Forum Contributor
Which laptop (under 1000$ - Euro) for photo editing ?
It will replace my Fujitsu 15 inch laptop, I would like a 17 inch this time 

Suggestions ?

Thank you
[url=http://www.debraekeleer.eu][b]Jos De Braekeleer Photography[/b][/url]
[url=http://www.debraekeleer.eu][b]www.debraekeleer.eu[/b][/url]

by Jeff Colburn on Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:18 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Hi,

It's hard to recommend a make and model because of the inconsistency out there. For example, I had a Toshiba, and it was great. Several years later I bought another, and great. Bought another a few years later, and it was a piece of junk.

Get the largest hard drive you can (My 1TB drive is 90% full), max out the RAM and get the fastest processor you can. And get at least the Intel Core i7 processor.

I'm currently using the HP laptop that's about 1 year old. But due to some HUGE problems I has just after purchase, I will never buy an HP again. I have had good luck with Acer, but at time of purchase, they didn't have the configuration I needed.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store.

by amullis on Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:43 am
amullis
Forum Contributor
The biggest problem I have found lately with laptops is the manufacturers like Dell and HP don't offer more than 16GB of memory. I shoot with a Nikon D810 in RAW 14bit files. My older laptop with 8GB RAM had a hard time post processing photos. I bought a new HP Envy with 16GB RAM (about $1,000), and it does much better at processing. I wish it had 32GB of RAM. My new PC (homebuilt) has an ASUS X99 motherboard, an Intel i7 5820 CPU with 32GB of DDR4 RAM and it kills the post-processing log jam!

I know there are laptops out there with 32GB of RAM, but the cost jumps! You will pay for it.

by photoman4343 on Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:58 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
The Dell XPS 15 can be purchased with 16GB or 32 GB of RAM, The Dell Alienware  17 in also can be purchased with 16BG or 32 GB or RAM. Unfortunately, the prices are well above your $1000 limit. 

My Sony Vaio laptop, used just for travel, has 12 GB of RAM  and an internal hard drive of about 600 GB. I need more RAM and hard drive space  to browse and process large RAW files from my Nikon D 800. 

Also consider an external hard drive that is SSD, at least 1TB or more. They cost more but are much faster. 

Joe 
Joe Smith

4 posts |