All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
by Joerg Rockenberger on Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:50 pm
Joerg Rockenberger
Forum Contributor
Hi,

I recently generated some panoramas with CS6 using the Photomerge command from within Bridge. I noticed that the resulting PSD files show "untagged" instead of "ProPhoto RGB" as with non-pano psd files in Bridge. When opening them in CS6 they are correctly tagged with ProPhoto RGB though...

Possibly related, the photo merged pano files don't contain the copyright info in the IPTC core section that was embedded in the original individual images. Further more puzzling, I can not add the information to those pano files within Bridge. Also, other EXIF info is missing from the merged files. And for at least one of the resulting pano-files, I also can not assign a star rating...

The pano files are pretty large with 1.7 - 2 GB file size coming from uncompressed Sony a7rII files. They have been flattened and cropped (though I didn't delete the out-of-crop image area). 

Any idea what's going on? For at least one of these files, I have already invested a fair amount of time and I'd hate having to start over...

Thanks. Best, Joerg

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:56 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
PSD file size limitation is 2GB - one of the reasons not to use PSD.  Go to TIF.  Also make sure in your preferences for Bridge's thumbnail generation is greater than 2GB.  Strange things happen in Bridge if that is set to the default 2GB and a file is larger than that.

by Joerg Rockenberger on Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:00 pm
Joerg Rockenberger
Forum Contributor
I think we should assign you the additional title of Wizard of NSN...

My Bridge thumbnail preferences were set to a limit of 1GB. Set it to 2.5 GB and all seems good.

Big thanks! Joerg

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:52 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
:D
I set mine to 4GB for the time being but I'll be doing a landscape shoot with the 100mp Phase One XF in May...  I don't use Adobe anymore for RAW conversion or asset management but still use Bridge occasionally for quick and dirty file access so I may have to up that number if I do any panos.

by Kim on Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:23 pm
Kim
Forum Contributor
Why not save in Photoshop large file documents [psb] if you want to save files over 2gig.

It is available from Save As or Save if you are saving for the first time as psb. files usually right under the psd file option in the file types box at the bottom of the Save command. It is called 'Photoshop Large Document' and is specifically meant for larger files.

by Trev on Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:23 pm
Trev
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote::D
I set mine to 4GB for the time being but I'll be doing a landscape shoot with the 100mp Phase One XF in May...  I don't use Adobe anymore for RAW conversion or asset management but still use Bridge occasionally for quick and dirty file access so I may have to up that number if I do any panos.

Out of interest EJ - what software do you use for RAW conversion now?
Trevor Penfold
Website http://www.trevorpenfold.com
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/trevorpenfoldphoto

by Joerg Rockenberger on Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:00 am
Joerg Rockenberger
Forum Contributor
Kim wrote:Why not save in Photoshop large file documents [psb] if you want to save files over 2gig.
Not sure how you're coming to the conclusion that I want to save files over 2 GB. My post is clearly stating that the files are 2 GB and below. Besides, I had tried the large document psb format and observed the same problems. So, it had nothing to do with the file format. 

E.J. got it right as it was a setting in my Bridge preferences that interfered with properly displaying the file info of large psd files.

Joerg

by Kim on Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:14 am
Kim
Forum Contributor
Joerg sorry for tyring to help. Won't happen again.

Kim.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:21 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Trev wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote::D

Out of interest EJ - what software do you use for RAW conversion now?
CaptureOne Pro

by ChrisRoss on Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:59 pm
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
Joerg Rockenberger wrote:
Kim wrote:Why not save in Photoshop large file documents [psb] if you want to save files over 2gig.
Not sure how you're coming to the conclusion that I want to save files over 2 GB. My post is clearly stating that the files are 2 GB and below. Besides, I had tried the large document psb format and observed the same problems. So, it had nothing to do with the file format. 

E.J. got it right as it was a setting in my Bridge preferences that interfered with properly displaying the file info of large psd files.

Joerg
Joerg,

this is an internet forum, people are providing advice and suggestions for free, they will often answer questions other than what you asked, all part of the rich experience of playing on the internet, no need to rude about it.  If the answer doesn't fit your needs ignore it and move on.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by Joerg Rockenberger on Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:58 pm
Joerg Rockenberger
Forum Contributor
ChrisRoss wrote:
Joerg Rockenberger wrote:

Joerg
Joerg,

this is an internet forum, people are providing advice and suggestions for free, they will often answer questions other than what you asked, all part of the rich experience of playing on the internet, no need to rude about it.  If the answer doesn't fit your needs ignore it and move on.
Chris,

I had no intention to be rude nor do I think my reply reads as rude but as factual. And in the spirit of enriching the experience of playing on the internet I think it's quite fine and valuable to point out if there must have been a misunderstanding of the original post. You may disagree...

Joerg

by ChrisRoss on Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:22 am
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
Hey read the Kim's reply, she was offended, just because it's factual don't make it right. It's all in the delivery. the Phrases "Not sure how you're coming to the conclusion" and "My post is clearly stating" don't help. It may be clear to you but maybe not to the person responding.

Don't forget it's only your typed words, without any body language or anything else to soften the blow so to speak.

And if you read the preceding posts it's talking about setting the limit to 2.5GB to overcome a problem. seems like a natural progression to suggest cures for a file size > 2GB.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

12 posts |