All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by Steve Cirone on Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:51 am
Steve Cirone
Lifetime Member
Member #:00583
Above is one way to do a print "scan."  I will later crop and optimize the image.  I put the photo on the floor near a window but not in direct light.  I use my Canon 1Ds Mark III camera and the Canon 100mm macro lens hand held, but just about any old camera and lens will do.    Settings are around ISO 320, F 3.5, 1/125 sec. manual exposure, but it depends on how bright the light is.  One nice thing is a camera and lens is pretty portable, but a flatbed scanner isn't.

I sometimes do use a flatbed scanner, the HP Scanjet G 4050 which is only now $190 BH.  I have used another scanner that was $1000, but it was not as good as my very old HP Scanjet which was $500 back when.  I especially like flatbed scanners for documents, but not photos so much, because docs are usually letter size, but photos aren't.

Many ways to go here, but this way of using a camera and a macro lens is super easy.  Plus the results go right into your regular image workflow.  Also, you do not have the ugly issue of flatbed scanners and their drivers.  Some flatbed scanner drivers were notorious for violently crashing computers back in the day.  Nikon Coolscans were also problematic.

DAILY IMAGE GALLERY:  https://www.facebook.com/steve.cirone.1

IMAGE GALLERY ARCHIVES WITH EXIF: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevecirone/

by Primus on Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:49 pm
Primus
Lifetime Member
Member #:02003
Steve, beautiful photo.

There is magic in old family photos, especially the ones that were taken by pros who knew what they were doing. Now that most of my parents' generation is gone, I appreciate them even more.

Pradeep

by Steve Cirone on Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:00 pm
Steve Cirone
Lifetime Member
Member #:00583
Thanks, Pradeep. Yes, all my family in the image above is deceased except for the girl on the lower right who is my Aunt Shirley. My maternal grandparents in the back row, then my mom, her brother, then three younger sisters. I believe this image was done some time during World War II when my Uncle Ed in uniform was on leave. Not that is of any concern to general readers, but to me and the family it is an important image.

Point being, we as nature photographers who have all the big rigs, are generally expected by our families to handle the family archives and do family images along the way. Though I resisted at first many decades ago, eventually I realized it was an honor. Plus, if I didn't do it, nobody would, and all those moments would be lost to time.

DAILY IMAGE GALLERY:  https://www.facebook.com/steve.cirone.1

IMAGE GALLERY ARCHIVES WITH EXIF: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevecirone/

by bender16v on Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:24 am
bender16v
Forum Contributor
Member #:02125
Thanks for posting your technique Steve. I was recently asked to archive a whole bunch of photos from my ski club, mostly from the 80s and 90s. I wasn't sure the best way to go about it but I will try using my camera and either a 60mm or 100mm macro lens first since I already have those. As your photo is dear to you, these are important to us because we recently lost the guy who started the club (and his son plus two others) in a plane crash.
-Chris Harrison

by Primus on Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:47 am
Primus
Lifetime Member
Member #:02003
Steve Cirone wrote:................

Point being, we as nature photographers who have all the big rigs, are generally expected by our families to handle the family archives and do family images along the way.  Though I resisted at first many decades ago, eventually I realized it was an honor.  Plus, if I didn't do it, nobody would, and all those moments would be lost to time.

Steve, this is so true. I realized this a while ago and I agree, it is an honor. 

Recently another close friend lost his mother suddenly. He too had no good photos of her to put up in the house (it is amazing how often this happens). He sent me a faded photo of his parents (his father had died a long time ago) and asked me to make copies if I could. I scanned it, cleaned it up and after adjusting the tone and color printed larger copies for him. 

A simple thing for me gives a friend so much happiness and comfort. That is something I never thought of  and as a byproduct of my passion for photography is very satisfying.

Pradeep

5 posts |