Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by Blck-shouldered Kite on Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:41 am
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
I've been cropping FX files from this D610 for the last several years.

Began to wonder, why use this D610 in DX mode if I frequently crop the FX file anyway. 

Is there a difference between cropping inside the DSLR or post?  

1.  And if not, why are there DSLR's with crop modes ? 

I realize this may be a "duh" question…but I really do not know.  This seems pretty basic, so maybe I just missed it in the past.

Thanks…..Robert

http://itsaboutnature.net

by Anthony Medici on Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:53 am
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
The only difference is the crop is always in the same place in the frame so you can't pick which part of the image to get your DX crop from.

I use the crop modes all the time to save space in the files when I know I won't need the full frame.
Tony

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:00 am
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Oh I see. Saving file space is a good strategy. I am often struggling with big files. Thank you. :)

by signgrap on Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:09 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Remember you always can take away (crop) BUT never really add back something that's not there.
File space is cheap these days as you can always add big drives and or buy bigger cards.
As I see it the only time cropping in camera really works to your benefit is when you need faster frames per second for action shots. Here's where the smaller file pays off with faster clearing of the camera buffer.
Dick Ludwig

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:18 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
signgrap wrote:Remember you always can take away (crop) BUT never really add back something that's not there.
File space is cheap these days as you can always add big drives and or buy bigger cards.
As I see it the only time cropping in camera really works to your benefit is when you need faster frames per second for action shots. Here's where the smaller file pays off with faster clearing of the camera buffer.
And some models also give you a faster frame rate in the crop modes....

by Mark Picard on Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:50 pm
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
I never crop in camera - just in case during those fast paced sequences I clip a wing or leg (or anything else) I may be able to save the composition. That way, I can crop later on making sure I had the largest image possible to start with. I get the pixel thing, but hey just use a bigger card! :)
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops

6 posts |