All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
by Mark Schaefer on Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:42 pm
Mark Schaefer
Forum Contributor
Hello,

I am about to get a new Mac and was told by Adobe sales that Photoshop CS6 is not compatible with OS X El Capitan.  I do not want to join the CC.

I won't mind if some features don't work, and I've read somewhere that CS6 can work if you install an older/special version of Java, or something along those lines.

Does anybody have Photoshop CS6 running on El Capitan?

Tks,
Mark

(¨>

by baldsparrow on Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:58 pm
baldsparrow
Forum Contributor
Quote from a web forum ...

Adobe Photoshop
While the majority of functions in Photoshop CC 2015 work on El Capitan, certain components of the user interface may be unresponsive or in some cases unavailable. Some people have also experienced general application slow-downs as well. The Photoshop team is working to correct these issues; in the interim they have issued a plug-in to bridge compatibility. To report additional issues or get more updates, please visit the Photoshop Support Forum.

by Mark Schaefer on Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:39 pm
Mark Schaefer
Forum Contributor
I'm guessing Adobe will resolve the problem with Photoshop CC, but I got the impression you are on your own if you own CS6 (perhaps in time they will fix that as well).

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:51 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Adobe will never fix anything in CS6 again. If you intend to keep using it, as I do, stay on Yosemite.

by Mark Schaefer on Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:03 pm
Mark Schaefer
Forum Contributor
I'm picking up a new Mac tonight, it will have El Capitan. Will Apple allow me to downgrade/download Yosemite?

by MND on Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:24 pm
MND
Forum Contributor
What doesn't work with CS6 and El Capitan?

I must admit I haven't used CS6 extensively since upgrading but I haven't noticed anything as yet.

by rebroach on Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:52 pm
rebroach
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Adobe will never fix anything in CS6 again.  If you intend to keep using it, as I do, stay on Yosemite.
EJ--so what do you plan to do? Stay with CS6 in perpetuity? What are your objections to the CC for Photographers $10/month program? I am not advocating either CC of CS6. Just interested in your opinion. Thanks.

by Anthony Medici on Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:57 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
Mark Schaefer wrote:I'm picking up a new Mac tonight, it will have El Capitan.  Will Apple allow me to downgrade/download Yosemite?
Apple isn't providing any operating system for the Mac other than El Capitan. You might be able to load Yosemite onto the machine if the machine first started selling when Yosemite was available. (So all the drivers are available for the machine.) However, you need to find someone with a Yosemite installer to do this. Unfortunately, I forgot to download it prior to El Capitan becoming available so it is one that I don't have.

Personally, I'm continuing to use CS6 (and CS5) on older machines. I won't upgrade to CC until something happens that makes CC much more enticing to me. There are currently two features I'd like to have but not enough to pay $10 a month for the rest of my life for.
Tony

by Mark Schaefer on Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:50 pm
Mark Schaefer
Forum Contributor
I probably should of waited before I posted the topic, but I was able to install CS6 and it works, so far...

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:30 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
rebroach wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:Adobe will never fix anything in CS6 again.  If you intend to keep using it, as I do, stay on Yosemite.
EJ--so what do you plan to do? Stay with CS6 in perpetuity? What are your objections to the CC for Photographers $10/month program? I am not advocating either CC of CS6. Just interested in your opinion. Thanks.
I can get most images to where I need them to be in Capture One and also have PTGUI and Photomatix for when I need those functions.  There's not much I need Photoshop for these days so at least for now CS6 gives me what I need although, like Tony, there are a couple of features that I like in CC but not worth paying for every month for the rest of my life.

by MND on Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:36 am
MND
Forum Contributor
Hope this is not too far off the original topic but it might be relevant as it for Macs's.

Has anyone tried Affinity Photo as a Photoshop alternative? I bought it when it first came out and it seems very powerful. It's the same as Photoshop but different. I just have to take the time to go through the tutorials.

BTW Mark, good luck with your new purchase.

by Mark Schaefer on Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:08 am
Mark Schaefer
Forum Contributor
Thanks Mike - and I looked at Affinity Photo, I will definitely try it (it is probably only a matter of time until my CS6 install has issues).

P.S. Luckily Lightroom 6 is still supported by Adobe, but I wonder how long it will take before only a CC version is offered.  Perhaps I should find other cataloging software now (although I doubt I will be able to convert my LR database over, in which case I will be SOL).

12 posts |