All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
by Greg Forcey on Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:47 pm
Greg Forcey
Lifetime Member
Member #:00926
Looks like the final version 2 has been released into the wild. I'm on mac and I'm hesitant to try it given all the issues that were reported with version 1. Anyone going to be a guinea pig? It's not yet compatible with El Capitan 10.11 released yesterday.

http://www.reikan.co.uk/focalweb/index. ... -released/
Greg Forcey

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:31 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The problem with El Capitan is with Nikon cameras. I'll be testing it out in the next month or so.

by EGrav on Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:38 pm
EGrav
Forum Contributor
Does that mean that It's OK to use with Canon equipment?

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:05 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
EGrav wrote:Does that mean that It's OK to use with Canon equipment?
It's OK with Canon and Nikon equipment, the comment above was about those that are running a beta version of the Mac operating system called El Capitan.  If you aren't using that then it's OK.  Whether or not it's more stable, as promised, than previous releases remains to be seen.  This software has always worked better with Canon cameras on a Windows machine.  We'll see if the Mac bugs and interfacing with Nikon cameras is actually fixed as claimed.

by EGrav on Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:56 am
EGrav
Forum Contributor
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I already installed El Capitan on my MBP, forgot to check if FoCal was compatible and installed FoCal 2. Have Canon 7D2's and would like to MA before trip next week.
Thanks

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:29 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
The reports are that Canon cameras work fine with Reikan on FoCal under El Capitan. Try at your own risk but there isn't a lot you can break, just the S/W might crash but that isn't the experience of Canon shooters so far.

by EGrav on Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:36 am
EGrav
Forum Contributor
Thanks!

by Charlie Woodrich on Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:18 am
Charlie Woodrich
Forum Contributor
I have a Mac Book Air (haven't upgraded to El Crapiton) and just tested a couple of lenses and it went without a hitch.  What a relief after all of the crashes I had previously.
This is off topic but I've tested three Canon II lenses (600, 100-400, 24-70) and the final adjustment was no more than +1 or -1 in all tests including W and T on the zooms.  It almost feels like a waste of time to test the new lenses, but you have to do it.

by EGrav on Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:47 am
EGrav
Forum Contributor
Yep - it worked fine with my Canon 600 II, 100-400 II, 70-200 2.8 IS, and Sigma 18-35 1.8 using 7D2 bodies. No crashes with El Capitan and FoCal 2.0. So much better than "eyeballing" it.
E

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:13 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
I did a very thorough check-out of the Mac version of the program this morning (27 calibrations) and for the first time in the history of Reikan FoCal, I can recommend it for Mac and Nikon users.  The constant crashing of the program and the wildly random results that it could often generate are completely gone in version 2.0.5.  There are still some weird interface hangups and times when you simply must exit the program and relaunch it for it to work but it no longer crashes mid calibration which was something that happened more often than not with Nikon cameras and using a Mac in older versions.

Mac OSX - Yosemite

by Greg Forcey on Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:56 am
Greg Forcey
Lifetime Member
E.J. Peiker wrote:I did a very thorough check-out of the Mac version of the program this morning (27 calibrations) and for the first time in the history of Reikan FoCal, I can recommend it for Mac and Nikon users.  The constant crashing of the program and the wildly random results that it could often generate are completely gone in version 2.0.5.  There are still some weird interface hangups and times when you simply must exit the program and relaunch it for it to work but it no longer crashes mid calibration which was something that happened more often than not with Nikon cameras and using a Mac in older versions.

Mac OSX - Yosemite
This is great news. Thank you for the update. Given the enhancements, do you think this is now a superior solution to the Lens Align/Focustune combo?
Greg Forcey

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:15 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Greg Forcey wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:I did a very thorough check-out of the Mac version of the program this morning (27 calibrations) and for the first time in the history of Reikan FoCal, I can recommend it for Mac and Nikon users.  The constant crashing of the program and the wildly random results that it could often generate are completely gone in version 2.0.5.  There are still some weird interface hangups and times when you simply must exit the program and relaunch it for it to work but it no longer crashes mid calibration which was something that happened more often than not with Nikon cameras and using a Mac in older versions.

Mac OSX - Yosemite
This is great news. Thank you for the update. Given the enhancements, do you think this is now a superior solution to the Lens Align/Focustune combo?
Yes but my results with LensAlign used manually are generally within 1 point of FoCal.  I don't use FocusTune - it was really unreliable giving just plain wrong results when it was first released.  I have not had a chance to evaluate the later versions but my understanding is that it has improved considerably. 

by Greg Forcey on Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:01 pm
Greg Forcey
Lifetime Member
There's a new release out today that's compatible with El Capitan.

http://www.reikan.co.uk/focalweb/index. ... bug-fixes/
Greg Forcey

13 posts |