« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
by Charlie Woodrich on Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:23 pm
Charlie Woodrich
Forum Contributor
Living remotely, this is a pretty hot topic with me.  The costs have been getting progressively better, but I think they are still outrageous.  I pay Verizon $130 a month for 30GB of data.  If you are forced to use a wireless connection, how much do you pay?

Charlie

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:48 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Not wireless but I pay $60/mo for unlimited 120mb/s fiber-optic to the house.

by bobsmith on Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:59 pm
bobsmith
Lifetime Member
Member #:00313
$49.95 per month for gig Internet, fiber to the house....

by Larsen on Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:02 am
Larsen
Forum Contributor
I didn't know people were getting such fast connections - I have Comcast and the max download speed is 3.5MB/s (28Mb/s), and I thought that was pretty good. 120mb/s - holy smokes! What is gig Internet - 1 Gb/sec? Do you really see 128MB/sec downloads?
_

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:05 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Larsen wrote:I didn't know people were getting such fast connections - I have Comcast and the max download speed is 3.5MB/s (28Mb/s), and I thought that was pretty good. 120mb/s - holy smokes! What is gig Internet - 1 Gb/sec? Do you really see 128MB/sec downloads?
Comcast offers much faster speeds then that but I'm sure it depends on the market to some extent:
http://www.cabletv.com/xfinity/internet

As for Gigabit internet, it's pretty much an oxymoron.  Sure the connection is capable of transmitting data at that speed but nobody is set-up to provide it.  In most cases the actual transfer rate is well under 100 meg bit/s.  It does set you up well for the future though as speeds get faster.

by Larsen on Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:26 am
Larsen
Forum Contributor
Thank you E.J.
_

by Greg Downing on Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:34 am
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
Remote area so also forced into wireless: $225 a month for 60GB of shared 4G data...(we're talking office, multiple users so we need a lot) Then there is a charge for each line so at the end of the day the plan is around $306/month for 6 lines before international add ons - most months with international we are well over $400 :( This is with a couple of major discounts and promotions applied.
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by Andrew_5488 on Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:17 pm
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
Greg Downing wrote:Remote area so also forced into wireless: $225 a month for 60GB of shared 4G data...(we're talking office, multiple users so we need a lot) Then there is a charge for each line so at the end of the day the plan is around $306/month for 6 lines before international add ons - most months with international we are well over $400 :( This is with a couple of major discounts and promotions applied.
Can't you use "Internet sharing-Apple thing,must be something similar on PC" to share your connection to other 5 computers ?

by Greg Downing on Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:17 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
I have a router to share the data throughout the property and we can support as many users as we want. I'm not sure what you mean. We still have phones that share the data as well - that's what the 6 lines are about. The internet part of the data is run through a router and transmitted wirelessly and wired to some devices.
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by Neil Fitzgerald on Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:49 am
Neil Fitzgerald
Regional Moderator
Member #:00240
This will be of no use to you whatsoever, but the international comparison is interesting. I'm out in the sticks and have wireless for which I pay NZD85 per month. That gets me 100 GB and fortunately I have good line of sight to a repeater 14 km away so get ok speeds, typically around 10 Mb/s down and 12 up.

by Professional on Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:14 pm
Professional
Lifetime Member
Member #:01430
I am in an expensive country that they just lie to the world by saying they are developed strong country or stable economical, but we have one main communications/connections company and the other is just a shadow and not a rival at all, for that the cost i pay for the internet i have now is $135 for 50GB fiber to the house, it was 20GB but they just made an offer for locals and instead to pay extra $25 to have 50GB so they just upgraded to 50GB from 20GB without that extra $25 added to $135, what a service! or say what a pity prices!!!!!!!!!!

Just to make it more clear, this price package is including a landline with free calls locally unlimited and that 50GB is also unlimited data and in addition to all these is TV service, most encrypted channels with free standard channels are there, this 50GB $135 is for the Sports channels TV package.
Tareq Alhamrani

by Anthony Medici on Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:33 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
If you are in a T-mobile area, which some areas are not, you can get 21GB+ per month at $80 for a single line. That will come with 7 GB of Hotspot access, which may not be enough. The + part is that T-Mobile is always unlimited but on that plan they don't slow you down per say, they "de-prioritize" you if you go over 21GB. On other plans, they slow you down but they never charge you more.

If you use a lot of data more infrequently rather than every month, a line or two with a data stash can allow for lots of data access occasionally. Second lines are cheaper in a family plan for the same level of service.
Tony

12 posts |