« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by kculton on Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:08 pm
kculton
Forum Contributor
Looking for ideas as to why I am getting a few corrupt images in the new version of Lightroom CC. Working on a PC, Very random, a few in older folders from 2010, 2012, and one from 2 weeks ago. Upon import of the recent image it showed no problems until opening the LR catalog today. By corrupt the preview shows Blue,Red lines over 1/4 of the image in lower right. Tried removing and reimporting, same problem. On older images I was able to delete from Lightroom and reimport from backup DVD's all went well. Using a Segate External Drive with plenty of space left. Not sure what to check, the external drive (which is fairly new? Know I did not remove the card while camera was turned on. Any suggestions for determining where the problem is?
Thanks, Kim

by Mark Boranyak on Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:18 am
Mark Boranyak
Forum Contributor
I had a similar issue a couple of months ago with my IMac. After import, several images were corrupted. That is, half the photo would look okay, but the other half would be random patterns and lines. 

After doing online research, it became apparent that Lightroom wasn't at fault. I suspect your problem is with your computer.

After completing the at-home diagnostic test recommended by Apple, it was determined that I had bad RAM. I took to the Apple Store where they replaced the faulty RAM. That fixed the problem and everything is working fine now.

I am not a computer expert by any means; just letting you know how my issue was resolved.

Mark

by Royce Howland on Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:31 am
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
Agreed, it's very unlikely to be Lightroom itself at fault. Even though I don't use the app and don't particularly like it, I know of no reason why it would be the cause of image corruption. It's more likely something in the computer system itself, probably hardware. Bad RAM can cause it, as Mark described. Bad disks also can cause it.

Kim, given your statement that you were able to remove & reimport older images from DVD backup and that solved the problem before, it's not likely an issue with corrupted CF cards. Those would have corrupted the files right from the start, including the copies on backup DVD.

Since you say "Seagate external drive", that's my #1 guess. What kind of external is it, specifically? Model #, capacity, type of interface (USB or whatever)...?
Royce Howland

by kculton on Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:25 am
kculton
Forum Contributor
The external drive is a Segate Backup Plus Model SRD00F2, 4T USB 3.0. I am connecting it to the computer by using a USB 3.0 extension as the back of the computer as it is hard to reach. If it is faulty RAM would that just start showing problems after having the computer for 2 years? Have not experienced any problems with other software programs. I have no problem moving images to another blank drive to see if that may be the problem, and will not use the extension cable if that could be a problem too. Any other recommendations?
Thank you for helping
Kim

by kculton on Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:25 am
kculton
Forum Contributor
The external drive is a Segate Backup Plus Model SRD00F2, 4T USB 3.0. I am connecting it to the computer by using a USB 3.0 extension as the back of the computer as it is hard to reach. If it is faulty RAM would that just start showing problems after having the computer for 2 years? Have not experienced any problems with other software programs. I have no problem moving images to another blank drive to see if that may be the problem, and will not use the extension cable if that could be a problem too. Any other recommendations?
Thank you for helping
Kim

3 posts |