All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by DOglesby on Sat May 23, 2015 12:51 pm
DOglesby
Lifetime Member
Member #:01155
Maybe I've got some setting screwed up somewhere but I've noticed a dramatic difference in image quality across Chrome, Firefox and Safari.  Chrome renders images vastly superior to the other two.  Firefox and Safari are terrible - blurred images that destroy the image.  Chrome is razor sharp.  Is this just my settings or do others have the same problem?  Any way to fix it?  

(P.S. I have no idea how IE displays images since I use a Mac.)
Cheers,
Doug

by DOglesby on Sat May 23, 2015 1:02 pm
DOglesby
Lifetime Member
Hopefully this will show the difference adequately enough.  
Cheers,
Doug

by SantaFeJoe on Sat May 23, 2015 1:45 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
It definitely shows on the ridges of the Bighorn and the leaves on the vegetation to the left of the falls. No advice to offer, just an observation.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by ronzie on Sat May 23, 2015 6:20 pm
ronzie
Forum Contributor
Except for Chrome, I believe to codecs from the operating system are used. Windows users might experience something different.

Firefox has a setting in it to use any embedded color space in decoding an image.

Are you opening local files in these browsers or html links.

by DOglesby on Sun May 24, 2015 10:36 pm
DOglesby
Lifetime Member
I'm opening files stored at html links. They are stored on my Wordpress site and high resolution images (2048px and 264dpi).
I didn't know that about the OS. Thank you. I'll take a look at Chrome and IE on my Windows machine at my office (my day job!).
Cheers,
Doug

by ChrisRoss on Fri May 29, 2015 6:16 am
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
If sharpness suffers it is going to be how the browser resamples the image to fit on the display and if it resizes by an amount like say 66.5% ( to pick a number) as opposed to 50% or 25% it is quite possible to do a terrible job. Tty going ctrl 0 to set it to fill the screen the ctrl + or ctrl - to zoom up and down iit should scroll through standard magnifications lie 25%, 33.3% 50% 66.7% 100% as PS does. You may find one particular magnification works better.

This will also happen if you say load a 1200 pixel image into a site that is set to take 1024 pixel images, the webpage tells the browser it only has 1024 px to display the image and the browser obliges by resampling with a poor quality algorithm and the image loos crappy. If I recall correctly ctrl 0 will cause it display the image at 100%.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

6 posts |