« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 16 posts | 
by Robert on Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:25 pm
Robert
Forum Contributor
I just noticed this happening recently (just before the release of LR6 which I don't have). I have LR 5.7.1 stand alone. The sharpness on a previously developed image changes from viewing in Library mode to Develop mode. At times it is sharper in develop mode and less sharp when going back to Library mode. Then I noticed images will now do the opposite and are sharper in Library mode than Develop mode. And it doesn't matter which mode I open the image in first. What the heck???

Has someone here heard about this and have an answer?

Thanks,
Robert

by Mike in O on Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:03 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Are you waiting for the photo to fully load...slow computers can take awhile.

by Robert on Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:19 am
Robert
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:Are you waiting for the photo to fully load...slow computers can take awhile.

No I'm not. I've intentionally waited extra time just to see if it made a difference, but it did not. My PC should be plenty fast enough at 1 1/2 years old with an i7 processor, 24 GB RAM and a lot of free HD space too. Probably the weakest link I have in this PC is the graphics card which is ok but not great. But again, I didn't notice this change in sharpness before recently so I suspect some setting has changed. I see on another forum where some others have noticed the same thing without an idea of why.

by Andrew_5488 on Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:57 am
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
Did you try to up size of Camera Raw cache ?

by Robert on Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:07 pm
Robert
Forum Contributor
Andrew_5488 wrote:Did you try to up size of Camera Raw cache ?

It is already set to the maximum of 1GB.

by Ed Erkes on Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:11 pm
Ed Erkes
Forum Contributor
According to Tim Grey, the preview in the Develop mode should be sharper than the Library mode, see http://asktimgrey.com/2015/04/22/blurry-preview
Ipersonally don't use Lightroom, but saw this question on Tim Grey's daily email.
Ed Erkes

by Robert on Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:03 pm
Robert
Forum Contributor
Ed Erkes wrote:According to Tim Grey, the preview in the Develop mode should be sharper than the Library mode, see http://asktimgrey.com/2015/04/22/blurry-preview
Ipersonally don't use Lightroom, but saw this question on Tim Grey's daily email.

Thanks for the link Ed. Well that would explain what I was initially seeing, but then it has switched to where the Library mode is sharper than the Develop mode - which is just weird. Something got switched up. I wonder if there is a way to "reboot" LR without having to uninstall it & re-install it?

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:53 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I would think clearing the Preview cache would resolve the problem.

As for a general reset without reinstalling, try clearing the preferences file which is something all Adobe products seem to need form time to time when they start behaving weirdly. This is for LR5 but it should be the same for LR6:
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/pr ... om-41.html

by Andrew_5488 on Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:27 pm
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
Robert wrote:

That's not a maximum. Try changing to 10 GB.More pictures you have bigger it should be.

by Robert on Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:09 pm
Robert
Forum Contributor
Andrew_5488 wrote:
Robert wrote:

That's not a maximum. Try changing to 10 GB.More pictures you have bigger it should be.

I'd be glad to do that - if I knew how, how do I do that? The preferences menu just said 1GB maximum, and I saw no menus or ways to maximize it further. LR is certainly not user friendly compared to when I had PS for settings & preferences.

Thanks,
Robert

by Robert on Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:38 pm
Robert
Forum Contributor
Ok, I figured out how to bump up the Raw cache - just type the amount in the box, doh!

EJ, thanks for the link & suggestion, I'll try and work with that tomorrow when I'm more clear headed and rested.

by signgrap on Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:50 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
One of the things I've noticed in LR 5.7 (and earlier versions) is when you do many brush changes or for that matter many changes with most of the selection tools LR gets overloaded and slows down when redrawing the image. When this occurs I close down LR and restart it again. This this seems to cure most of the slowness but not all because LR has to process all the changes you've made to the image before it can be displayed.
Dick Ludwig

by Robert on Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:15 pm
Robert
Forum Contributor
Thanks Dick, I have been making sure I give the Develop mode sufficient time to ready the image for viewing, and have closed and opened LR at various stages of this process.

I haven't been able to fix this yet. Here's what I have done so far:

Bumped up Camera Raw Cache to 10 GB (from 1GB).
Purged the Camera Raw cache.
Closed and re-opened LR.

I can't find where to clear the Preview cache, unless what was meant was the Camera Raw cache and that's been purged a few times now.
And as for the Preferences file, I'm not sure where that is since my Win 8.1 search can't find it, and find hidden files & folders has been allowed. Although, I also haven't done much if anything to set much personal preferences in LR so it may not make much difference - I don't know. Unless, EJ, you are referring to the
Preferences>Presets>Restore All Develop Settings button? I haven't tried that yet. I don't recall manually changing any presets either.

I also posted the question on the Adobe LR forum, but haven't received an answer there yet.

This is a bummer as I can't be sure now what effect my corrections, at least sharpening, are having if the Develop module doesn't show them fully.

by Robert on Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:22 pm
Robert
Forum Contributor

I tried following these steps by Victoria Bampton to clear the preferences file. http://www.lightroomforums.net/showthread.php?14226-Resetting-(or-Trashing-)-the-Lightroom-Preferences-file
I turned LR off, then I saved the original Preferences file to my desktop and slightly changed it's name so I could put it back if these steps didn't work (as advised in the steps by Victoria Bampton). Contrary to what Victoria says, when I started LR back up ALL my editing of images for the past 1 1/2 years since I've had LR were gone. Apparently all the original Raw and jpeg files were still there, but all the deleting/rejecting of images I didn't want and image editing were gone now and all I had left were the original Raw files and jpegs. So with LR off, I put the original preferences file back (with the original name) and removed & deleted the new preferences file, then re-started LR and at first all my editing was still gone, but after a few attempts to restore the original preferences file all my editing has returned (along with the color in my face :oops: ).

Where is the "Fubar in need of refresh without causing any damage Button" when I need it?
Or maybe it's just time for me to break down and pay off Adobe and get the CC subscription so I can use PS again... :(

by Anthony Medici on Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:25 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
I would have thought the edits were in the library, not the preferences file.
Tony

by PV Hiker on Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:36 pm
PV Hiker
Forum Contributor
You will want to look at having "xmp" files as side car file to the raw file image. It contains all the edits and everything else that is selected with Lightroom. By default Lightroom has this feature turned off. If you were to lose Lightroom edits like you did then Lightroom will use the xmp files to build back the catalog with your edits. Some how I deleted a image in Lightroom and was able to retrieve it out the recycle bin along with the xmp file and re established the file with the edits along with it.
Patrick

16 posts |