Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by pdschu on Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:53 pm
pdschu
Forum Contributor
I have a Crucial DiskM4-CT512M4SSD2 5oo GB drive that is the boot drive. It has been in use for about a year. It seems to work fine and quickly for everything except the initial bootup. It used to boot very quickly when first installed but not takes 2-3 minutes to boot Win 7. I tried to reinstall windows and also repair. Can't do either because of a "newer version on Windows is installed". Not a big problem since I do not reboot often and all the programs seem to launch quickly.
I am just confused as to why it would be so slow to boot. Any thoughts?
Paul Schumacher
Schumacher Photography

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:02 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
It is likely that the problem is due to a lot of programs having loaded themselves into your boot-up sequence and you may have hundreds of bad registry entries.

Go into your start-up folder and make sure things aren't loading that you don't need at start-up. A common one that can really slow things down is Adobe Bridge and most people do not need that to load at start-up. For Bridge, go into the programs and uncheck the Load at Start-up preferences. Next, any programs you find in the start-up folder that you don't need at start-up, delete from the start-up folder (this does not delete the program, just the entry into the start-up sequence.

Now you need to make sure that you aren't running a bunch of services that you don't need. Got to BlackViper.com, pick your OS and make changes to your services from the SAFE column.

Next do a registry clean using a program like ccleaner

All of these things combined should give you quite a speedup but probably not back to how it was when you first got it since you likely have installed a lot of stuff that needs to run some code during boot-up since you first got the system.

If you are nervous about any of this, first clone your SSD to another drive that you could use to boot the system up with in case anything goes wrong. I personally don't do this since I have done all of this a thousand times but if you are not computer savvy or scared, or whatever ;) you could do that first.

by pdschu on Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:04 pm
pdschu
Forum Contributor
Thank you once again.
Bridge was not loading, not checked in Bridge prefs.
I run Ccleaner often so only had a dozen or so bad reg entries.
Deleted a couple of items in the startup folder.
Checked all the changes in the safe column on Black Viper Services. Only had 2 or 3 that were running that could be disabled.
Didn't need to make a backup :)
I guess there is still a lot of crap that needs to run, so i will just forget about it.
Paul Schumacher
Schumacher Photography

by pdschu on Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:53 am
pdschu
Forum Contributor
The problem is solved. When I removed the malfunctioning HDD from the computer, the bootup process is now back to normal.
Paul Schumacher
Schumacher Photography

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:40 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Ah yes, that would do it :)

5 posts |