Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
by John P on Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:45 pm
John P
Forum Contributor
Every once in a while taking images with my Nikon D800, after downloading Lightroom will say on "Preview not Available" or sometimes something like "End of Data". At first I thought it was the Lexar cards but I never get these messages on my D300. I did contact Lexar customer service they gave me some things to try but they do not think it is the card because it works OK on the D300. I can always see the images on the D800 LCD it is only when downloaded to Lightroom or PS CS6. Does anyone have any idea what causes this. I am still on Lightroom 4.2. Thanks in advance!
John P
www.impressionsofnature.net

by Andrew_5488 on Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:04 pm
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
Are you importing those files using Lightroom ?
Nikon transfer application is known to cause problems.
Can you try in Adobe Bridge ?

by Jim Zipp on Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:10 am
Jim Zipp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00150
John, I had that happen a few times years ago. Never figured exactly what caused it but I was able to open the files in DPP so you might try the Nikon software?
Jim Zipp
http://www.jimzippphotography.com

by John P on Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:27 pm
John P
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the comments everyone! I also tried opening in Adobe Bridge and the same files would show the same message. I do use a Lexar card reader and due to the fact that I see the images on my D800 LCD I think it might be related to the card reader, so will probably order a new reader.
John P
www.impressionsofnature.net

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:17 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
If you are using an older Lexar Card reader with UDMA-7 enabled cads, the card reader is notorious for corrupting images during download.  It will eventually leave the card unusable.  Stop using that reader ASAP and use a program to do a low level format of the card that reads and writes every pixel.  This needs to be done with a reader that supports UDMA 7.

by Andrew_5488 on Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:38 pm
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
John P wrote:Thanks for the comments everyone! I also tried opening in Adobe Bridge and the same files would show the same message. I do use a Lexar card reader and due to the fact that I see the images on my D800 LCD I think it might be related to the card reader, so will probably order a new reader.
Before ordering new reader why don't you import using Lightroom directly from your camera.
That way you'll know for sure.
And to be completely sure use a couple different USB cables.

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:49 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Andrew_5488 wrote:
John P wrote:Thanks for the comments everyone! I also tried opening in Adobe Bridge and the same files would show the same message. I do use a Lexar card reader and due to the fact that I see the images on my D800 LCD I think it might be related to the card reader, so will probably order a new reader.
Before ordering new reader why don't you import using Lightroom directly from your camera.
That won't help already corrupted images.  Once corrupted, they are corrupted.  putting the card back in the camera and then importing them just reimports a corrupt image.

by Andrew_5488 on Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:43 pm
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Andrew_5488 wrote:
That won't help already corrupted images.  Once corrupted, they are corrupted.  putting the card back in the camera and then importing them just reimports a corrupt image.
I'm not talking about copying them back to card.
Downloading files from reader wouldn't corrupt images so if he still got them on the same card which was used during shooting,trying to download from camera would isolate problem to reader or cable or software issue.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:50 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Andrew_5488 wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Andrew_5488 wrote:
Downloading files from reader wouldn't corrupt images so if he still got them on the same card which was used during shooting,trying to download from camera would isolate problem to reader or cable or software issue.
One would think this to be true but it isn't.  Copying images from a UDMA-7 card with an old Lexar reader that is not UDMA 7 compliant corrupts the images on the card.  My data recovery business has dealt with numerous cards that that happened to using this reader.

by Andrew_5488 on Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:31 pm
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Andrew_5488 wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Andrew_5488 wrote:Before ordering new reader why don't you import using Lightroom directly from your camera.
One would think this to be true but it isn't.  Copying images from a UDMA-7 card with an old Lexar reader that is not UDMA 7 compliant corrupts the images on the card.  My data recovery business has dealt with numerous cards that that happened to using this reader.
Please explain how read operation of software like Lightroom corrupts images ?

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:39 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Andrew_5488 wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Andrew_5488 wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Andrew_5488 wrote:Before ordering new reader why don't you import using Lightroom directly from your camera.
I can't but it does and it's been verified independently.  There is something that happens that corrupts the data, not just the FAT, and it is a progressive failure that gets worse the more often you use it.  It's the same with the Hyperdrive on some UDMA 7 cards and Lexar themselves have acknowledged that in private.  There has even been a firmware update on one of their older readers to try to remedy this.  Bottom line, if you use UDMA7 cards, make sure your card reader is UDMA7 (not just 5) compliant to be safe.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:50 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
I just looked through my data recovery services for the last year and 36% of the corrupted cards were SanDisk or Lexar UDMA-7 cards that were corrupted when being read by an older non-UDMA 7 compliant Lexar card reader. Most of the rest were due to pulling a card before it was done writing or not ejecting a card from the computer and just pulling the card.

by Andrew_5488 on Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:54 pm
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Andrew_5488 wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Andrew_5488 wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:
I can't but it does and it's been verified independently.  There is something that happens that corrupts the data, not just the FAT, and it is a progressive failure that gets worse the more often you use it.  It's the same with the Hyperdrive on some UDMA 7 cards and Lexar themselves have acknowledged that in private.  There has even been a firmware update on one of their older readers to try to remedy this.  Bottom line, if you use UDMA7 cards, make sure your card reader is UDMA7 (not just 5) compliant to be safe.
I wasn't aware that Lexar card readers are write-capable.

13 posts |