« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
by Iain Campbell on Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:12 am
Iain Campbell
Lifetime Member
Member #:01718
Hi everyone,

I was looking at the product description page about the new 5DS R and it was describing the difference between the 5DS and the 5DS R. It said this

"but the possibility of moiré and color artifacting is greater however. Fortunately, there are methods to help eliminate these effects while capturing and during post-processing."

I could not find where it describes how to eliminate these effects. Does anyone here know how I will mitigate these effects in shooting or in processing?

Cheers and as always thanks for any insights,

Iain

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:14 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
By "these effects" I assume you are talking about moire?

If so, it is likely you will never see it in a nature image. If you do, both LR and ACR has a tool where you can brush over areas that have moire and it takes it out. That said, I have been shooting with no AA filter cameras for several years now and have never had to do that in a nature image. The 5DSR still has an AA filter but has a cancellation filter, something Nikon tried (D800E) and abandoned in favor of no AA filter at all (D810)

by Iain Campbell on Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:24 pm
Iain Campbell
Lifetime Member
Hi EJ,

Yes moire and "color artifacting'. How would you shoot to avoid color artifacting?

Thanks,

Iain

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:29 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Don't worry about it. Unless you are doing fabric you are not likely to see it.

by Iain Campbell on Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:38 pm
Iain Campbell
Lifetime Member
E.J. Peiker wrote:Don't worry about it.  Unless you are doing fabric you are not likely to see it.

Well there goes the idea of leopard face sarongs.

Thanks for your help EJ

by Don Nelson on Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:26 pm
Don Nelson
Forum Contributor
"Don't worry about it. Unless you are doing fabric you are not likely to see it. - "

you can also see it on a wrought iron fence if the angle is just right to moire with the pitch of the pixels (eg a receeding wrought iron fence). I've seen that with some Canon 40D generation cameras.

This becomes even less likely as the pitch of the pixels shrinks

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:11 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Don Nelson wrote:"Don't worry about it. Unless you are doing fabric you are not likely to see it. - "

you can also see it on a wrought iron fence if the angle is just right to moire with the pitch of the pixels (eg a receeding wrought iron fence). I've seen that with some Canon 40D generation cameras.

This becomes even less likely as the pitch of the pixels shrinks
I was specifically responding to the type of photography that Iain does.  Architectural photography will show it in spades in a lot of situations, especially with video.  But in nature photography it just isn't an issue.

by Neilyb on Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:37 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
It has appeared in birds for me from time to time, in tightly packed feathers, but that's on a 16mp 1d4.

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:55 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
The smaller the pixel, the less prone the sensor is to this. A 5DSR pixel is minuscule compared to a 1D4 pixel.

by Jens Peermann on Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:07 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
A moire is an irregular pattern generated by multiple regular patterns that are aligned at certain angles. It takes at least two regular patterns to generate a moire. One is the camera's sensor with its rows and columns of pixels (dots). The second one has to be in the scene that is photographed.

Regular patterns are mostly found with man made objects. They are not common in nature. Honeycombs are one instance. There may be some more, but not very many.

Rows and columns that run absolutely vertical or horizontal to the columns and rows of the sensor's pixels are not a factor. If they run at an angle to the pixel pattern they may generate a moire, but don't necessarily do. It may actually be less likely to find an angle that generates a moire than one that prevents one. In process color printing the dot patterns of the four color plates are purposely angled at each other to prevent a moire.

Pixel size is a factor, too. Prints of identical size are less likely to show a moire when the image comes from a 50MP FF sensor than when it comes from a 36MP or 24MP FF sensor. Just like a 300dpi print is less likely than a 144dpi print to have jagged edges.

Bottom line: Moire is not something to lose sleep over. If a scene has an element that is likely to generate a moire take multiple exposures at slightly different angles. That should  yield at least one moire free frame. Allow some extra space for cropping after straightening.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by WJaekel on Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:09 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Don't worry about it.  Unless you are doing fabric you are not likely to see it.
Hmm, looks like some have experienced moire´issues with bird feathers, though ? See http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1376541

As it was discussed in another thread, the 7dII probably is a better choice for bird photography while the 5ds/r is more suitable for landscapes. Nevertheless, I would appreciate comments of the early adopters of the 5DsR if moire´ is a major concern for wildlife/bird photography.

Thanks

Wolfgang

by scubastu on Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:16 am
scubastu
Forum Contributor
I have the 5Dsr and have shot both nature and sports with it. My son's soccer team jersey is made from those high tech textured fabrics and has a pronounced fine mesh texture and it's a glossy fabric. I have not seen any moire in my images.

cheers

Stu
Stewart L. Sy

SLS Photography, When Your Underwater Images Matter...
www.stewartsy.com

12 posts |