Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 18 posts | 
by Larry Shuman on Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:17 pm
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
Last night I received my New Nexus 7 gen2. I plugged the NEW Nexus 7 into my big computer but could not get  to the first screen. All it did was ask me for a Wi Fi password. When I entered it several times and nothing happened I called Google Support. I could not understand anything the individual was saying. I went thru 3 or 4 people before getting someone who I could understand. Was this in the US or overseas? After they got on my computer I was told that my machine had been hacked. He showed me a folder which has addresses of many many people who were listening.

Was he referring to the Nexus 7 or my computer having been hacked? I have never found my computer to be slow or slowing down. In fact I open  D800 raw files that are between 42 to 51.48 MP with ease. No delay at all. The Google person referred me to "ebiz connects" The Google person forwarded the info to "ebiz connects" and they charged $240.00 to rid my machine of the hack problem. Could the hack problem be with the Nexus 7 which I got  from Ebay?

After all this was done "ebiz connects" finally found my correct password for the Nexus 7 and everything is working correctly with it.

Have I been fleeced for $240? Could there really be a problem with the hack? The only sites I visit are Naturescapes, FM, ebay and Yahoo news. My email is now also on the internet. Here I put a check mark in the box on the left of the message while holding down shift and delete everything I don't recognize.

I have no idea how anything like being hacked could happen. How can one computer be a network? Or [/b]can one computer with a Nexus & plugged in be a network?

Thanks
Larry

by rnclark on Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:10 pm
rnclark
Lifetime Member
Member #:01978
HI Larry,

What internet browser and email program do you  use?  And specifically which version of those programs?  There are many ways to get hacked these days, especially running windows.  How up to date is your operating system?  If not as current as possible, your are vulnerable, especially with windows.

by Larry Shuman on Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:22 am
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
I believe I have internet explorer and security essentials. I am running Win7 Pro 64. The win7 is about 2 years old. I don't know how to check for this info.
Thanks
Larry

by Larry Shuman on Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:34 am
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
I was just looking at the control panel. I found something called View your active networks. Also it was showing me printer. So with the printer, Internet explorer and my computer, is all this the network the ebizconnects was talking about? If I disconnect the network will that turn off the email? My email is thru the internet with buckeye cable.
Thanks
Larry

by Larry Shuman on Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:03 am
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
I just found out that they installed a network firewall. I believe it has something to do with users\valued client\.
I really don't know. None of this makes sense for me.

by ChrisRoss on Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:49 am
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
Certainly sounds suspicious to me, looks like they installed a firewall without telling you, these days the Windows firewall is just fine so probably fleeced there.  Did they install any other software at the same time? (look in control panel - programs and features and sort by date and look for other software installed on that date.  Did they provide an itemized invoice?  Was this who you dealt with:

http://www.ebizconnects.us/contact-us.html

If it is there is at least one complaint against them for scamming people into installing software.

https://www.scamguard.com/ebizconnectsus/

You may or may not have been hacked, I don't really get why they would need to remote in to connect your tablet to your PC.  Is the folder of "listeners" addresses they showed you still there?  It seems odd to me that such a folder would exist on a hacked computer.

For the future I would not recommend letting people remote in to your computer unless you trust them and I don't think this fits the bill for trust.  I would be inclined to recommend downloading Malwarebytes and scanning your system to check for malware, going by your description of what they did I think it would be worthwhile insurance.  

BTW Your internet connection will be referred to as a network in Windows, you don't want to disconnect it.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by Larry Shuman on Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:46 am
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
Since I cannot find any listeners folder on my computer I called the card company and cancelled the card & disputed the $240 charge and the bank will issue a new card in seven to ten days. I've also put the two most used passwords on my itouch so this will not happen again.

Thanks
Larry

by rajandesai on Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:12 pm
rajandesai
Forum Contributor
Member #:01263
Is your machine connected to the internet - wired or wireless? If yes, then you are on the network. If not protected, hackers can easily get to your machine - via the internet. You should enable firewall and disable all incoming traffic.

Like mentioned above, there are many ways to get hacked... Did you open any zip files, attachments that came from unknown sources? There are many viruses now a days - especially if you use Windows. Make sure that you have your anti-virus up-to-date.

So short answer is - yes, it is possible to get hacked, affected by virus, malware et al. as long as you are connected to the wild wild world (west) or the internet. You just need to take appropriate measures...

And yes, make sure that you have the latest version of your operating system - companies do put out security patches every now and then.

by Andrew_5488 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:39 pm
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
Larry Shuman wrote:Last night I received my New Nexus 7 gen2. I plugged the NEW Nexus 7 into my big computer but could not get  to the first screen. All it did was ask me for a Wi Fi password. When I entered it several times and nothing happened I called Google Support.
After they got on my computer I was told that my machine had been hacked. He showed me a folder which has addresses of many many people who were listening.
Usually it's a good idea to do a full reset of any computers bought second hand.
Addresses of people who were listening ? What are you talking about ?
After all this was done "ebiz connects" finally found my correct password for the Nexus 7 and everything is working correctly with it.
You said you're asked for WiFI password ?
That would be your wireless network password and not a device password.

I have no idea how anything like being hacked could happen. How can one computer be a network? Or [/b]can one computer with a Nexus & plugged in be a network?

If your computer is disconnected from outside (and wireless network is out) then no,there's no network. But you have and are on the network. Your own home network. Your computer is connected through Ethernet cable (most likely) with at least one device,be it cable modem,router,etc. That's your own home network.
So called LAN (Local Area Network). Then you have connection between your cable modem and your ISP. That's a different kind of network,so called WAN (Wide Area Network).

by DChan on Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:17 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Would Nexus 7 and your "mother" computer be...two computers??

Do you have wifi at home?

by Larry Shuman on Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:21 pm
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
Now I understand a little more. This morning I searched the computer for any programs referring to ebizconnects. All it found was 2 PDF's and no exe's. There are no ebiz programs in the features and programs folder. After this search I called my credit card and cancelled my current card and they are going to protest the charge. I'll receive a new card in 7 to 10 days.
I have been thinking about disconnecting the computer from the Ethernet hookup. If in need the internet I could go over to our local library and use theirs.
Thanks
Larry

by ChrisRoss on Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:02 pm
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
That's probably a little extreme, a little common sense goes a long way when it comes to viruses and hacking. The way you describe handling email sounds good and if you extend the same caution to attachments, only opening ones from people you recognise and expect to see then you are probably good. And if you truly only visit the sites mentioned that further reduces risk. The other risk area is downloading software, but it doesn't seem like that is something you do a lot. If you use the local library to say for instance post something here on NSN, you'll need to take the photo across on a USB stick and that could expose you to greater risk than what you currently do.

You will not be looking for anything with ebiz on it, it would be things like the firewall they installed or maybe they also installed another anti virus program. The way to find that is in control panel. Click on "programs" then "programs and features" and sort by date by clicking "installed on" to sort the list. Look for anything installed on the date in question. The anti virus may be inferior or require subscriptions to get updates. Windows security essentials does a pretty good job and it's free and keeps up to date automatically.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by rnclark on Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:53 pm
rnclark
Lifetime Member
Member #:01978
Larry,
Chris gives some great info. But...

You need to be sure your windows 7 operating system is up to date. Check your machine to be sure that check for updates is on and that it checks regularly and installs the updates. Microsoft Security Essentials is excellent; be sure it is up to date too. But...

There are multiple ways to get infected/hacked. Holes are found in windows every day, and microsoft only updates once a month. During that time, your system is vulnerable to those new attack methods. There are new methods out there that bypass antivirus programs and can remain undetected until the antivirus companies update their products.

There are a couple of solutions that will help: use another browser than internet explorer, like chrome or firefox. Use another email client rather than outlook, e.g. thunderbird. Finally, to increase safety a lot, don't use windows on the internet (alternatives are macs, which is unix, or linux).

Roger

by Larry Shuman on Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:51 am
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
I checked my Microsoft Security Essentials-even ran a scan- found nothing. Essentials said it was up to date.
I don't know how to check to see if the win 7 is up to date.
I checked program and features and here is everything from 2015.
iProfiler-x-rite 1/27/15, x-rite device service manager 1/27/15, AdBlock Plus (32 bit & 64bit) Publisher
Eyeo Gmbh 3/24/15. That is all for 2015.
In email I do not open anything in spam. I put a check mark in the box hold down shift and delete. In the in box unless I personally know the sender its get deleted the same as spam, trash box highlighted, shift and delete.
I never install any software from anyone for any reason. I have my machine and simple. It opens shots from the D800 almost instantly.
I called google because I was not familiar with WIFI and I needed help in getting past this block. Since I could not understand the person on the phone I went thru maybe 4 others before I could understand what they were saying. Google said I had been hacked and showed me two companies and their charges and I could pick one. Right there I was fleeced. I have NOT seen any slow down in my system but bit the hook anyway because I have no experience in this an After they "finished" the work only then did they check to see what the Nexus password was. When I used that password everything worked on the nexus and I was minus $240. I have a previous Nexus 7 that broken.
I am retired and on a very tight budget so another computer just for the internet will not work. What is chrome and firefox? I don't know how to change email from the Buckeye Cablevision. I have a Buckeye Cablevision router that controls the phone, computer and the Direct TV is plugged into it.

Thanks
Larry

by Larry Shuman on Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:31 am
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
In the Action Center the Network Access protection agent service is set at off. Does it need to be on? If it does how do I turn it on?

Thanks
Larry

by ronzie on Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:58 pm
ronzie
Forum Contributor
Firefox is a freeware open source browser. If you get it add the freeware NoScript plug on from the Firefox plug in site library. This can prevent cross posting links not desired and certain types of scripts pending your manual approval.

After NoScript has been added, when you go to a site the "S" icon in the browser will be all red. If it is blue and red some of the script sources are allowed. Hovering the mouse over the S gives a dropdown of the sites linked to in the page. You can click each one to toggle allow or forbid. You can usually set the main site domain you have gone to as OK if in fact the site even runs with that disabled. Other links might be ads and tracking scripts.

Some sites use fonts from Google that need permission. Other Google products or for a hit count, etc., and it is up to you what to allow.

Here's a coarse screen shot extract of what it looks like for this actual thread page:

by ChrisRoss on Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:43 pm
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
Larry,  given your limited computer knowledge, I would suggest leaving things  as they are for now and keep an eye on things, I suspect you were fleeced on the hacking thing.  Security essentials is good but I would also suggest downloading the freeware version of malwarebytes and running a scan.  It looks for things like adware and other issues that security essentials may skip.  If that's clear then just carry on as you have been.  

Here's the download link:

https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/

Just download the free version, install and run a scan.  You will more than likely get detections  called potentially unwanted programs (PUP) which are relatively harmless and it will pick up cookies.  If you're not sure just delete anything coded red which is actual malware.  When the scan finishes select the things you want removed and click fix now.

I wouldn't recommend changing browsers or particularly modifying them as you're not computer savvy, unless you have trusted friend who is sure of what they are doing.  If you truly just go to the websites you say and continue to be careful with email and attachments that should be relatively safe.  And don't allow anyone you don't know remote access either!
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia

by DChan on Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:46 am
DChan
Forum Contributor
Malwarebytes is good for cleaning but not as good in detecting. Its paid version offers real-time protection. Miscrosoft Security Essential is good as in a so-so program among softare of its kind. I had once got error messages from Security Essential saying it was trying to clean up a malware or something but it could not find it and no action needed. Malwarebytes also found nothing. Then I did a scan with Hitman Pro and it detected a threat. After Hitman Pro deleted that threat, Miscrosoft Security Essential no longer gave out that strange error message.

Personally, I think if you value your data and info (including those photos), pay a little for one of those security software is worth doing. It costs nothing comparing with what your paid for your cameras and lenses. And no one program detects and stops everything out there.

18 posts |