Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 15 posts | 
by Kim on Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:48 pm
Kim
Forum Contributor
I am hoping some one can help me with a computer problem. I have two hard drives on my computer, one for the system stuff and one just for my images, the D drive. The computer is suddenly not seeing it. I have to go into the control panel Admim/Tools/Disc Management and use the scan function to bring the D Drive up. I can then get access to my images.

However if I restart my computer I have to find the D Drive as above again. Worse yet if I work on one of my images and go to save a new version I can not do it as no matter what way I try to save the system can not find the D Drive and I get error messages saying it can not save the file or the screen goes blank and the programme stops working.

I have set a new restore point to 3 days ago before all this started and that has not helped. I have run virus scans etc but I have a scan every day and my protections are up to date.

All my images are backed up on two other portable drives so I am good in that regard.

My system is Win7 home premium.

by Andrew_5488 on Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:15 pm
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
Go to BIOS during startup and check all settings for HD's.

by Kim on Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:22 pm
Kim
Forum Contributor
OK Thanks for the help. I have no idea how to do that but I guess I can try to research that on the net.

by KeBul on Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:55 pm
KeBul
Forum Contributor
Hi Kim,

Do you still need help with this?

Kev

by Gary Briney on Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:21 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
Make sure the physical connection to the drive is sound. Shutdown the computer, disconnect and reconnect the D drive, restart.
G. Briney

by Kim on Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:24 am
Kim
Forum Contributor
Yes thanks. I have solved the problem and my HD is back to normal. I did more research on the net and went into the bios and got the HD reconnected. It did give me a few days of worry though.

by rnclark on Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:57 am
rnclark
Lifetime Member
Member #:01978
Kim wrote:Yes thanks. I have solved the problem and my HD is back to normal. I did more research on the net and went into the bios and got the HD reconnected. It did give me a few days of worry though.
I hope you have it backed up at least once and preferably 3 or more times.

Roger

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:28 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Kim wrote: It did give me a few days of worry though.
This statement is concerning to me.  If you are following a disciplined back-up regiment, hard drive failure should never be a worry.

by Kim on Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:50 pm
Kim
Forum Contributor
Thank you Roger and EJ but in my original post I do say I have two backup copies of my images. At 72 years old I do find it a worry not having my computer working well and having to trawl through the internet to find out how to get it working again is a worry.

Where were you guys when I needed the help?

by KeBul on Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:19 pm
KeBul
Forum Contributor
Glad you are sorted Kim.

Kev

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:20 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Kim wrote: Where were you guys when I needed the help?
Traveling!  But I did notice that the very first answer was the correct one.  Just didn't get a chance to recheck the thread after you asked how to actually do that ;)

by rnclark on Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:57 pm
rnclark
Lifetime Member
Member #:01978
Kim wrote:Where were you guys when I needed the help?
Traveling (back from Africa)!  But I also did not know the answer.

by Kim on Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:18 am
Kim
Forum Contributor
Well just to update on this topic. Turns out the reason my harddrive kept disappearing was because my mother board was on the way out. Long story short new computer arriving this weekend.

ATM I can not see any of my images and I am too apprehensive to plug in my external backup copies as I have experienced some corruption of files on my harddrive due to the motherboard problem according to my Teck person.

by KeBul on Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:54 pm
KeBul
Forum Contributor
Hi Kim,

Sorry to hear you are still having problems, have to say I thought your previous fix was a bit strange in that drives shouldn't just get randomly disabled in the system BIOS.

Anyway, hopefully your tech will sort it all out for you, it should be possible to add your old drive to your new system and thus copy your files from the old drive to your new system drive(s), you can then leave the old drive in your system as a further backup storage point.

Good luck and hope it all gets resolved with the new system and you do not lose any further data.

Kev

by Kim on Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:56 pm
Kim
Forum Contributor
Thanks Kev.
My new computer has 5 bays for harddrives and as the harddrives in my old system are less than 8 months old I will be using them if they pass testing by my computer man. It also has a solid state drive for the system so it should be good I hope.

15 posts |