Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by MarkoPolo on Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:44 am
MarkoPolo
Forum Contributor
I recently added a Plugable brand powered 7 port USB 3.0 hub to my and my wife's workstations. We only have 2 USB 3.0 ports and they are in the back of the machine and are rather a bother to reach to plug and unplug.
Everything seems to work fine with these, except doing our SynToy back ups to our WD My Book USB 3.0 hard drives. The program stalls, gets some weird error messages and the the machines have to be hand stopped and restarted. If I plug back in to one of the ports on the back of the machine it seems to work, but the odd thing is I did get one of my two My Books to back up just fine with the powered hub.
Any reason that using a powered hub should cause this?
I did uncheck save overwritten files to the recycle bin on SyncToy and I think that might have helped. Any reason to not leave that unchecked?
Thanks
Mark Brown

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:09 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Check the instructions for the WD. Many times the instructions tell you not to plug into a USB hub. Not sure why, though.
See this, it may help:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/det ... JkbQ%3D%3D

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by MarkoPolo on Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:43 pm
MarkoPolo
Forum Contributor
Thanks Joe,
That well may be it, but it is odd that one time it worked well. The external hard drive always is recognized. I thought that a non-powered hub might not work, but that a powered one will. I will contact the hub manufacturer, Pugable, and see what they say.
Mark
Mark Brown

by MarkoPolo on Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:19 pm
MarkoPolo
Forum Contributor
Joe,
There is a driver update that I installed. I will try again later. The hub manufacturer says that external hard drives should be OK.
Mark
Mark Brown

4 posts |