« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 2 posts | 
by jnadler on Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:19 pm
jnadler
Forum Contributor
Just this year spending more time photographing wildflowers, I've found that Adobe Camera Raw 6.3 does a terrible job of faithful colors for reds, blues, and pinks when using my default camera calibration Adobe Standard.  Subtle colors are oversaturated blobs.  Changing this ( the camera icon, third from left in dialog box) to Camera Standard or Camera faithful is required to maintain the true color and saturation of reality. What is this all about? I realize this topic is perhaps as old as digital is but never noticed this with birds, just my newer venture into flora.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:36 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
A couple of things here.  ACR 6.3 is ancient in terms of RAW conversion fistory and the ACR that is current uses a completely different engine.  Second, standard is not the Gretag MacBeth calibrated profile.  you would want to use Camera Neutral.

Also, it is extremely important to shoot with the RGB histogram and make sure you are not cooking any channel.  The composite histogram will almost always lead you to overexposure of highly saturated colors like those found in many flowers.

2 posts |