Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 14 posts | 
by Neilyb on Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:39 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
I have just returned from 5 days in Finland shooting brown bears. Each day I backup my files to another disk, but the final night was not backed up due to leaving early the next morning. All was fine until my reader disconnected from Windows. When I try to read the card now Windows want to format it and my 1DX will not read it.

Before I do anything silly, how best to proceed and with which software? Card is a Lexar Professional 800x, 64GB. I will wait until I have another card reader too.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:27 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
This is how you corrupt the FAT. It is fairly easy to recover the images. You just need one of the recovery programs. i recommend ImageRescue.

I also recommend doing a quick format on the card prior to running ImageRescue so that the corrupted FAT is erased and not influencing the program, thereby forcing it to recreate all of the images from the data that is on the card.

by Neilyb on Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:31 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
I have now Image Rescue 4, which I did not realize came free with the card. So I will await a new reader (ordered the Lexar one). Was not sure if I should low lever format, is it best done in Windows or in camera?

Really want the images, the location on the last night was the best of the trip :o I should have copied in the taxi, lesson learned.

Thanks E.J.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:37 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Do not low level format. In Windows, simply format and make sure the quick format box is checked. Then run Image Rescue. After you ahve recovered all of the files, then you can low level format.

There may not be anything wrong with the current card reader...

by Neilyb on Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:52 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
May not be but it does seem to lose communication at times. Never corrupted a card.

I meant quick format in Windows, sorry. :)

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:51 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Could be the connector on either the computer or card reader.

by Neilyb on Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:59 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
Not taking more chances for now. :) Thanks.

by Neilyb on Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:19 pm
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
Reader arrived early. Ran the software, recovered CR2 files, none of the video (but it was of no importance). But around 60% of the files are corrupt or incomplete it seems?

http://neilburton.smugmug.com/photos/i- ... TWR4-L.jpg - this image shows the Lightroom view I have. Embedded thumbnails seem fine until the image loads in Develop module, then the error appears.

by Royce Howland on Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:53 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
That means the software didn't properly recover the raw data. Imagerescue 4 is old, the current version is 5.
http://www.lexar.com/imagerescue

It's possible that like pretty much all other software, you need the latest version of a recovery app to work with raw files from new cameras. See if you can upgrade the app without a charge, otherwise you're probably looking at licensing either the new version of this app or some other to try for better results.

The one I've used successfully in the distant past is PhotoRescue:
http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/
Royce Howland

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:10 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Did y9ou first do the quick format on the card? If you do that, it usually minimizes the corrupt files.

by Neilyb on Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:43 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
Ok guys, did not format, figured if the card could be read I would not need to. Will try newer software and quick format. Thanks.

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:13 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Please re-read the second paragraph of what I wrote in my first response ;)
You want it to build a completely new FAT rather than using an old one. In my recovery business, that step alone has saved hundreds of images compared to not doing that.

by Neilyb on Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:18 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
Yes E.J. this is what I have now done. I also purchased Photorescue, it is worth 29$ to try. It did however crash part way into the rescue, which was odd as it rescued some JPGs, a few RAW files and then started saving out TIFFs, some with the same problem. I will have a further try once I can keep the PC running for a long time as it was taking an age to recover.

Thanks again.

by Neilyb on Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:29 pm
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
Have not managed to retrieve any more than I did originally unfortunately but I do have shots in all possible variations from that evening so quite thankful. Thanks again for the help!!

14 posts |