Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
by ebkw on Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:00 pm
ebkw
Forum Contributor
I have a 1TB My Passport that is formatted in NTFS.  I have to reformat the drive to use it with the colorspace UDMA2.  Windows 7 gives only the option of NTFS or exFAT.  I have read everything I could find on the internet.  Downloaded Fat32Formater but can't figure out how to access the program and where it has gone after unzipping.

Anyone have a better or easier way of reformatting the hard drive or knows how this program works please help!

Thanks,

Eleanor
Eleanor Kee Wellman, eleanorkeewellman.com, Blog at: keewellman.wordpress.com

by photoman4343 on Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:35 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
I found this under Help in win 7 when I typed in Format FAT:
(I must admit I really do not know what this means)

Convert a hard disk or partition to FAT32 format
You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps.

Before you begin, note that the FAT32 file system has size limitations. You can't create a FAT32 partition greater than 32 gigabytes (GB). Also, you can't store a file larger than 4 GB on a FAT32 partition. If the partition you want to format is larger than 32 GB, the NTFS format might be a better option. For more information, see Convert a hard disk or partition to NTFS format.

For more information about formatting in general, see Formatting disks and drives: frequently asked questions.

Warning
Converting a hard disk partition or volume from NTFS to FAT32 requires that you reformat the partition, which deletes any data on it. Be sure to back up any data you want to keep before you begin.

Show contentHide content To determine what type of file system a partition is using
Click to open Computer.

Under Hard Disk Drives, right-click a drive, and then click Properties.

The file system the drive uses is listed on the General tab under File system.

Show contentHide content To format a hard disk partition with FAT32
Click to open Computer Management. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.

Right-click the partition you want to format, and then click Format.

In the Format dialog box, under File System, click FAT32, click OK, and then click OK again.

Note
If the partition you want to format is larger the 32 GB, the FAT32 option will not be visible.
Joe Smith

by photoman4343 on Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:50 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
I just looked at the manual for the UDMA2. On page 53, it tells you how to format a hard drive. You have a choice of one partition or two partitions. I am assuming this means that you would buy the UDMA2 case without a hard drive; buy your 1 TB drive to insert into the case and then use the software in the UDMA2 to format the hard drive in FAT32.

Joe Smith
Joe Smith

by ronzie on Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:47 pm
ronzie
Forum Contributor
On the B&H site, the colorspace they describe is capable of storing 250GB capacity HDD. That would require NTFS since a fat32 partition is limited as the notes in Photoman's reply to a 32 GB partion and 4GB maximum file size. Even if you use two partions they would not total more than 64 GB.

However, the limits table on this page is contrary to the Win help system information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems

which states that FAT32 can deliver up to 2 TB. It requires using an external application to avoid the formatting limits built into the MS format utility. Perhaps that is what Sanho is doing.

http://www.partitionwizard.com/partitio ... ition.html

see "Glorious FAT32" section.

On Win XP-32 I was limited to a boot partition of 32 GB under FAT 32 but the extended partition totals went the balance left on my 300 GB drive. I used a third party utility to create these. My partition for photo work is 100 GB. (I use a 300 GB drive to keep backup cloning time down. If not for that I could go much larger.)

It is odd that Sanho has a 250 and 320 GB product but limits you to two FAT 32 partitions unless they are allowing for larger volumes in their formatter. I'd check their support forum for a Q&A.

by ebkw on Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:40 am
ebkw
Forum Contributor
The basic problem is that with my version of Windows 7 I am not given the choice of formatting the external My Passport to Fat32. I am only given the choice of exFat or NTFS. I don't see any way to format the My Passport from the UDMA2 and will look at that possibility again.

Sanho sells the UDMA2 with hard drives installed up to 1TB or the empty case for you to provide your own hard drive which is what I have done.

I am going on a trip this week that allows me only 75 lbs of luggage including sleeping bag, pillow, clothes and camera gear. I am trying to cut down by not taking a laptop.

At this point I have left the My Passport to format in exFat overnight and am about to test it so see if it is recognized by the UDMA2.

I'll call Sanho Monday to see what other options there are. There must be a way of doing this if they are selling the UDMA2 with a 1 TB drive.

I'll update this as I go along. Thanks for your answers!

Eleanor

by KeBul on Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:02 pm
KeBul
Forum Contributor
If you plan to put the hard drive from the "My Passport" into the colorspace empty case then just use the utility provided within the colorspace to format the drive.

As Joe says above details are on Page 53 of the manual, but quite simply fit the hard drive, power up the colorspace, go to settings and choose format, then choose 1 partition.

No need to use Windows, the operating system within the colorspace will prepare the hard drive for use.

Kev

by ebkw on Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:45 pm
ebkw
Forum Contributor
I'm not putting the hard drive from the My Passport into the UDMA2 but using it as a backup hard drive for the cards I have downloaded to the UDMA2. I bought 2 hard drives for one UDMA and want to back them up to the My Passport.

by KeBul on Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:37 am
KeBul
Forum Contributor
Ahhh sorry, that's what I thought you were trying to do originally, but then it seemed like you had bought an empty colorspace enclosure, anyway, you could still take your 1Tb drive out of the My Passport enclosure install into the colorspace and format it using the colorspace, then put the drives back in their respective enclosures.

Failing that we are back to your original question, which fat32 formatter did you download? Can you provide a link and I'll try and emulate what you have tried.
It also depends on how you completed the download, and what browser you are using, did you open or save it?
In IE if you opened it then it will most likely unzip into your browser temporary files folder, but should have presented you with the unzipped files in a Windows Explorer window, but it will be difficult to find again if you closed that window.
If you saved then the default save location for IE is your downloads folder and then often if unzipped from there it will just place the unzipped files in the same folder, so check your downloads folder for the fat32 formatter program/installer and try running it from there if you can see it.

If no joy then, as I said, let me know which formatter you tried to download and what browser you are using and I'll try and sort out instructions for you to follow.

Kev

by ebkw on Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:07 pm
ebkw
Forum Contributor
Just talked with Sanho support. The My Passports I have are USB 3. Never going to work! Need to have USB 2 as USB 3 needs too much power for the optional OTG adapter even when the OTG is plugged in!!!

Another thing, I have two old Hperdrive Colorspace units that I put 250GB drives in six years ago. 250GB seemed like a lot of space way back then! The Samsung 1T drives I got do not work in the old units but they do work in the UDMA2 units. The Tech told me that WD, Seagate, Toshiba and HGST 1TB drives will work in the old units. I think they are much slower than the UDMA2 units, though.

So, for backup, I could get either the other brands of HDD for my old units or find USB 2 My Passports or other brand.
Hope this helps someone else!

Thanks for your help, everyone!

I did ask the Teck to put this info on the website so other people would know before spending days trying to find information.

Eleanor

by mikeojohnson on Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:05 pm
mikeojohnson
Lifetime Member
Member #:00374
I use an 11" MacBook Air with a 500gig SSD for primary storage and a hyperdrive udma for a second backup when I need to go light.

Mike
"Photography intensifies the experience of life"
http://www.mojphoto.com

by rwarrin on Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:38 am
rwarrin
Forum Contributor
ebkw wrote:Just talked with Sanho support.  The My Passports I have are USB 3.  Never going to work!  ...
Eleanor
Yes it will, Eleanor!
I have used the exact same setup you are describing; Sanho Hyperdrive UDMA2 and WD My Passport 3.0 as backup.
Granted, I bought the Sanho case less than a year ago and bought a 750gb WD blue hd which I put in myself.
Yes the manual (and calling it that is a stretch) says it will not work - using the OTG adaptor  - with USB 3.0. But it does.
I used this exact setup on a 2 week trip to Costa Rica and it works.

Formatting the unit with Win7 is a pain. 
I used this and it works (it takes a while): http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index. ... format.htm

Issues I did run into, however, using the UDMA2.....The battery life of the Sanho unit was pretty poor.  Transferring files shot from my D800 took a good amount of time, not surprisingly given file size.
The unit would not read files from a CF card used with my D800.  Workaround was to copy to SD card in camera.  Annoying.
Moreso when the unit would read files from the CF card used in the D4 (no adapter for XQD card so a known issue going in).
Finally, I could not get the sync function to work.  This is what really sold me on it, that backing up to another hd was as simple as connecting it to the Sanho unit.
I was able to manually copy and backup to the My Passport.

All in all, it does work.  For the money, it's hard to beat but it does come with caveats. 
If size is the main issue and you can spend more, take a look at the Nexto units.

by ebkw on Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:24 pm
ebkw
Forum Contributor
rwarrin wrote:
ebkw wrote:Just talked with Sanho support.  The My Passports I have are USB 3.  Never going to work!  ...
Eleanor
Yes it will, Eleanor!
I have used the exact same setup you are describing; Sanho Hyperdrive UDMA2 and WD My Passport 3.0 as backup.
Granted, I bought the Sanho case less than a year ago and bought a 750gb WD blue hd which I put in myself.
Yes the manual (and calling it that is a stretch) says it will not work - using the OTG adaptor  - with USB 3.0. But it does.
I used this exact setup on a 2 week trip to Costa Rica and it works.

Formatting the unit with Win7 is a pain. 
I used this and it works (it takes a while): http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index. ... format.htm

Issues I did run into, however, using the UDMA2.....The battery life of the Sanho unit was pretty poor.  Transferring files shot from my D800 took a good amount of time, not surprisingly given file size.
The unit would not read files from a CF card used with my D800.  Workaround was to copy to SD card in camera.  Annoying.
Moreso when the unit would read files from the CF card used in the D4 (no adapter for XQD card so a known issue going in).
Finally, I could not get the sync function to work.  This is what really sold me on it, that backing up to another hd was as simple as connecting it to the Sanho unit.
I was able to manually copy and backup to the My Passport.

All in all, it does work.  For the money, it's hard to beat but it does come with caveats. 
If size is the main issue and you can spend more, take a look at the Nexto units.
I just didn't have time to try this again as I had spent several hours trying to do this very thing with no good result.  I may try it again once I get back from my trip.  At this time I have one Hyperdrive UDMA2 with a 1TB drive and two original Hyperdrive Colorspace units each with 1TB drives.  That should be enough backup!

In one of the posts I found someone said that you wouldn't be able to download GoPro video to Fat32 that was over 4GB.  Using 1080 30 fps my GoPro videos are less than 4GB as one video file stops at 15 minutes and goes right on to a new file making them all under 4 GB at that resolution and frame speed.  I haven't tested other resolutions and speeds.

by ebkw on Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:28 pm
ebkw
Forum Contributor
I got lots of help from Sanho tech by calling in and want to thank Angelo for working with me today! It was a pleasure not to have to repeat my whole life history several times before anyone would even speak to me!

13 posts |