Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 17 posts | 
by WJaekel on Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:26 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
I have a 16GB Lexar Professional SDHC card (600x) which cannot be accessed and formatted by the camera (5d3) anymore. So far I had no problems with the card. It's still correctly recognized and accessed by the computer through my lexar card reader. I consequently saved all my files to the harddisk and formatted it several times with windows or the SDformatterv4-Tool without any problems and errors. But inserting it into the camera I get the message "card2 cannot be accessed -Reinsert/change the card or format card with camera". But trying to format it doesn't work - "cannot format -change card". Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Wolfgang

by Royce Howland on Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:34 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
Do other SD cards work in the camera? If not, it may point to a camera problem with the SD slot. If other cards do work in the camera, then there's something wrong with this particular SD card even though it seems to work in the Windows PC.
Royce Howland

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:24 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Put it in a Windows computer, right click on it and select format and then deselect the quick format option.  This type of format will take a while.  If it completes successfully, the card should now be readable.

Do not use a Mac for this.

by WJaekel on Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:13 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
Royce and E.J, thank you for your comments.

Other SD cards work in the camera, so it's nothing wrong with the SD-Slot. If I put the card in question in another camera body it's the same problem there. So it's definetly a problem with the card.

I did format the card once again in the way E.J. proposed with quick format deselected - but it didn't help. I have no idea what's wrong with that special card. I remember that I once used the card for copying files to my ipad and also deleted a couple of files via the computer instead of doing this with the camera as I normally do - maybe something went wrong then. But as said, the card can be formatted and accessed in the computer without any problems.

Wolfgang

by rnclark on Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:34 pm
rnclark
Lifetime Member
Member #:01978
On the SD cards that do work in the camera, what is their format? (exFAT, FAT32 etc). Try formatting the problem card with the same file system as the cards that work.

Roger

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:02 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Do make sure the format type is FAT 32

by WJaekel on Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:35 am
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
It's formatted in FAT 32 - so nothing's wrong here.

Wolfgang

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:14 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Then the card should not be used any more. It is likely still under warranty since it is one of the better brands. Just get a free replacement.

by Steve Cirone on Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:40 am
Steve Cirone
Lifetime Member
Member #:00583
Lexar service is great here in the US.  I had a client ruin a new Lexar 64 gig card of mine accidentally by attempting to download to an iPad with a reader rather than via the camera cord.  Lexar immediately replaced it, no questions, even though it was user error.

DAILY IMAGE GALLERY:  https://www.facebook.com/steve.cirone.1

IMAGE GALLERY ARCHIVES WITH EXIF: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevecirone/

by WJaekel on Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:31 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
I chatted with the Lexar support today. They required some datas and a problem description by email. So I hope that the card will be replaced in the end. I never experienced that kind of problem with any of my cards. It's strange that it works well via the computer but cannot be accessed and formatted by my cameras anymore. I also tried it with my friend's Nikon D800 which cannot access the card either. It's obviously risky to use these cards in different devices such as ipads or regular computers. Don't know if they apply different algorithms for reading, writing and formatting so that the camera sometimes cannot access it  anymore afterwards.. The card had worked flawlessly in my cameras for a year. 

Wolfgang

by Candew on Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:31 pm
Candew
Forum Contributor
While I would definitely not trust this card any longer, even if you get it working, you might try to low level format it on your computer using the free software directly from the SD Association.  You can read about it and get it from this site:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Liz

by Gary Briney on Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:34 am
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
The symptoms are consistent with a difference in mechanical & electrical contact. The camera contacts are probably may apply less pressure than the reader contacts, and the contact strips on the card may have developed a bit of oxidation over time which increases resistance. You could try a contact cleaner like DeoxIT(R) --- the G product with brush applicator is the least aggressive, while R is more aggressive. Just take care to apply a controlled minimual amount to the contacts.
G. Briney

by Primus on Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:10 am
Primus
Lifetime Member
Member #:02003
I wonder if anybody has had problems with Hoodman cards. A couple of months ago I was looking to buy some CF cards and was about to go for Hoodman simply because they report 'zero' problems. However, then I got an email from Adorama with a discount on the Lexar 1000X 64G cards that was too tempting to ignore. Basically with the discount, the cards came in at less than one third of the Hoodman ($88 vs $299).

I am keeping my fingers crossed. So far I have had possibly one Lexar card go bad on me, none from Sandisk and many from other 'lesser known' brands.

Pradeep

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:07 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
There is nothing inherently better about a Hoodman card then a Lexar. In fact I would prefer the Lexar since they actually assemble their cards where Hoodman is just a brand name slapped onto a card made at an unknown origin. i am sure the company tests them thoroughly but the origin can vary even among seemingly identical cards. I personally stick with SanDisk and Lexar as both companies are very good abut honoring their warranty and both companies are OEMs and make a quality product. both are also on the leading edge in ever higher performance for flash memory cards

by Primus on Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:37 am
Primus
Lifetime Member
Member #:02003
Thanks EJ.

If you are to believe the hype on the Hoodman site they have never had a card that 'failed'. It may simply reflect the much lower volume of their product in the user base or they are not telling the truth. It is difficult to imagine anything to be that perfect.

I for one am quite happy so far with my Lexar CF cards, they are very fast, reliable so far, and incredibly cheap with the discount from Adorama. Imagine - $88 for a 1000X 64G card. I remember paying over $100 for a 1 Gig IBM Microdrive just over 10 yrs ago.

Pradeep

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:05 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
I would call BS on that :mrgreen:

by Royce Howland on Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:34 am
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
I don't believe that claim from Hoodman, either. I wouldn't even believe it coming from the best OEM card producer, which Hoodman surely is not.
Royce Howland

17 posts |