Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by scorless on Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:23 pm
scorless
Forum Contributor
What is the best method of moving large numbers of raw files from a PC to a Mac?  Thanks for the help. This seems to be a problem due to the lack of a USB port on the Mac.
Sandy Corless

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:41 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
All my Macs have plenty of USB ports ;)

There are many ways to do it.  One would be to get an external drive that has both a USB and a FW port.  You could use the USB to upload the files from the PC to the drive and then DL the files to the Mac from the drive using the FW cable.

If there aren't too many pictures you could upload them to a file sharing or cloud service and then DL them.

You could copy them to a flash card or SD card and then transfer them that way

You could burn them to a DVD...

You could set up your PC and Mac on the same network and set the PC folder as shareable and grab them that way

You could get a port replicator to turn one USB port on your Mac into several...

There are literally dozens of ways to do this.

by Wildflower-nut on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:42 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
This is probably off point but I'm thinking of moving to Mac. What is the Mac's ability to read and write an NTFS disk these days?

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:51 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Wildflower-nut wrote:This is probably off point but I'm thinking of moving to Mac.  What is the Mac's ability to read and write an NTFS disk these days?
It can read them fine but not write.  If you are sharing disks, use FAT32 but format them to FAT32 on a Mac because Windows doesn't let you format FAT32 above a certain size.  Windows has no problem reading and writing to large volume FAT32 disks that were formatted to that on a Mac.

by dbostedo on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:58 pm
dbostedo
Forum Contributor
On newer Windows installs an with drives of a TB or more, you can format as exFAT rather than FAT32 and use them on both PCs and Macs.
David Bostedo
Vienna, VA, USA

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:08 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
dbostedo wrote:On newer Windows installs an with drives of a TB or more, you can format as exFAT rather than FAT32 and use them on both PCs and Macs.
Only if your BIOS and it supports it.  Most MB's made in the last two years support it, the next two years back you can usually do a BIOS update to support it.  Older than that and you may not be able to do that.

by John Guastella on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:10 pm
John Guastella
Forum Contributor
This is probably off point but I'm thinking of moving to Mac. What is the Mac's ability to read and write an NTFS disk these days?
Paragon makes "NTFS for Mac" which allows a Mac to read/write an NTFS-formatted drive.  I've never used it, so can't vouch for how well it functions.  However, I do use Paragon's complementary product "HFS+ for Windows" which allows a Windows computer to read hard drives formatted for the Mac.  Works great for all of my Mac-formatted external hard drives.

John

7 posts |