Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by Dave Pluimer on Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:32 pm
Dave Pluimer
Forum Contributor
After reading a suggestion to use rsync for backup, I decided to try it.  Here is what I'm using to copy the source to the backup:

rsync --progress --delete -aE

The backup is a copy of the 2015 folder I have of my images (including multiple subfolders) I made a couple weeks ago. What I'm trying to do is add the new files in the source (same name) to the backup. But, when I execute the command above, it goes through, but the backup does not contain the new files.

I'm completely new to this. I am using that script based on a YouTube video where the Music files were the context. What am I missing?

TIA

by Dave Pluimer on Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:40 pm
Dave Pluimer
Forum Contributor
Problem solved - replaced -aE with -av - LOTS faster and it worked!

by rnclark on Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:11 pm
rnclark
Lifetime Member
Member #:01978
Dave Pluimer wrote:After reading a suggestion to use rsync for backup, I decided to try it.  Here is what I'm using to copy the source to the backup:

rsync --progress --delete -aE

The backup is a copy of the 2015 folder I have of my images (including multiple subfolders) I made a couple weeks ago. What I'm trying to do is add the new files in the source (same name) to the backup. But, when I execute the command above, it goes through, but the backup does not contain the new files.

I'm completely new to this. I am using that script based on a YouTube video where the Music files were the context. What am I missing?

TIA

I suggest to NEVER run a test with the flag --delete!!!  You could wipe out something.

I also suggest on the first try to include the -n switch which shows what it will do without actually doing anything.  Once that looks good, then drop the -n.

3 posts |