« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by Martin 095 on Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:26 pm
Martin 095
Lifetime Member
Member #:01126
Hi everyone,

OK, technically speaking, this is not a digital photography topic but I don't know where else to turn (a google search for answers was limited to corrections for Windows OS but I am on a Mac), and since I am trying to email a fellow photographer, with a little bit of artistic license, this topic could be considered appropriate :).  However, feel free to trash it as necessary.

I am trying to email another photographer using the email address he has posted on his website.  I have used this before, with no issues.  Today, regardless of the browser (Safari, Firefox, Google) or computer I used (both Macs, one running Snow Leopard, the other running Yosemite), my email was returned almost instantly with the following partial error message:

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Remote host said:
550 relay not permitted!
[RCPT_TO][/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]From what I gathered, this isn't an issue on my end, but that info doesn't help me get my message to the photographer.  Anyone have a work around?[/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]TIA![/font]
Best wishes,

Martin
"[i]If there is a sin against life, it consists, perhaps not so much in despairing of life, as hoping for another life and eluding the implacable grandeur of this life[/i]." - Albert Camus

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:32 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
If you can email other people OK, just not this person then it just means that either his ISP, or email server or something in the chain of relays that gets email to his address is down or, due to the error message you are receiving, is having some sort of security issue.  Try again tomorrow ;)

But if youa re having trouble emailing to others as well you may have a registry problem:
http://wikifixes.com/errors/0x/Error%20 ... fgodS24Odg

Also read this:
http://www.serversmtp.com/en/error-550

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:05 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I'm sure that this is not your case, but could he have blocked either your email address or attachments if you included any? I have done both on one account for two reasons. I responded to a reply to a Craigslist ad I had placed and then started receiving up to 200 spams a day, including photos I didn't care to see. CL has since adopted CL Relay and now my email address is not available to anyone. The second reason was that an old friend started sending me daily political propaganda emails and I blocked his address and any emails with attachments included. This has unfortunately blocked some emails with links and attachments included from people I wanted to receive them from!!! I also set up a couple of other addresses for things like CL and consider them disposable. You might try calling to see if he is still using the same address.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Martin 095 on Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:11 am
Martin 095
Lifetime Member
Member #:01126
EJ, thanks for the links and the response. Yes, I can email others without any problems, so I will try again tomorrow.

Joe, thank you too for your response, but I don't think he would have blocked my address, and there were no attachments.

Thanks for the help!
Best wishes,

Martin
"[i]If there is a sin against life, it consists, perhaps not so much in despairing of life, as hoping for another life and eluding the implacable grandeur of this life[/i]." - Albert Camus

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:08 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
It's possible too that he shut down his email or that his account is over quota or some other strange thing.

5 posts |