« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by kculton on Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:36 pm
kculton
Forum Contributor
i am using a PC with Win 7, what is the best/safest way to copy large folders with images to another external drive, Explorer? I also have an older version of BreezeBrowser Pro. The parent folder may have up to 8,000 photos. Any thoughts about Goodsync?
Thanks

by DChan on Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:51 am
DChan
Forum Contributor
kculton wrote: Any thoughts about Goodsync?
Have you taken a look at the reviews here:

GoodSync

Looks like if you are looking for fast ways to transfer your files from internal hard drive to the external one, GoodSync may not help. I suspect it has more to do with the hardware.

by kculton on Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:16 am
kculton
Forum Contributor
I will be copying folders between 2 external drives

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:24 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
If it's a single folder or a single folder with a bunch of sub-folders it's as easy as simply dragging the folder from one drive to the other. When you go from one drive to another, Windows defaults to a copy operation (when you drag within a drive it defaults to a move operation). There is no faster way to do it then that since this is a pure OS copy with no additional software overhead. No additional software is needed

If it's a more complex file structure where you can't just drag a folder or maybe a few then a syncing program like Microsoft's SyncToy or GoodSync mentioned above are great. There is a bit of software overhead with these and it will be slower but they also keep track of what they did so you can continue to keep the drives synchronized as youa dd more files to the main data drive.

by Primus on Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:32 am
Primus
Lifetime Member
Member #:02003
kculton wrote:i am using a PC with Win 7, what is the best/safest way to copy large folders with images to another external drive, Explorer? I also have an older version of BreezeBrowser Pro. The parent folder may have up to 8,000 photos. Any thoughts about Goodsync?
Thanks
I have a Mac but run Windows through VMware Fusion for my printing needs. I have a huge iTunes library on the Mac side and have always had problems copying the music to an external drive because two files with the same file name even in different directories will not copy in this fashion (behaves differently from Carbon Copy or Superduper) and OS X will stop when it encounters this error. Very frustrating and difficult to troubleshoot.

I found a great alternative in Teracopy which is shareware. It is about the fastest copier I've used ever and does an amazing job. It copied over 10,000 files, large and small from my NAS storage to an external HD, going through a windows shell. Would probably work equally well if not better on a pure Windows machine. 

Highly recommended. 

Pradeep

by Steve Cirone on Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:02 pm
Steve Cirone
Lifetime Member
Member #:00583
Like EJ said, it is just drag and drop. Nothing to it.

DAILY IMAGE GALLERY:  https://www.facebook.com/steve.cirone.1

IMAGE GALLERY ARCHIVES WITH EXIF: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevecirone/

by DChan on Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:22 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
kculton wrote:I will be copying folders between 2 external drives
External, internal...don't matter. The read/write speed and the connection speed matter more I'd say. Just be patient. It'll get done ok :)

7 posts |