« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
by Brian Stirling on Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:20 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Member #:00446
I'm thinking about doing either the Squaw Creek NWR or the Bosque Del Apache this fall/winter and would like feedback on the best dates to go there.  My one time at the Bosque was in early February of 2005 so more than ten years ago.  I've never been to the Squaw Creek NWR.

I know that many here seem to hit the Bosque in December but even in early February there were still pretty nice numbers of cranes and snow geese.  So if December is the best time what's the earliest and latest dates for the Bosque?

As I never been to Squaw Creek NWR and there doesn't seem to be nearly as much activity from NatureScapes types at that place so I'm even more in the dark about best times.

Brian

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:13 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The problem with Feb is that the plumage on the Snow geese at Bosque is pretty tired looking by then - even January has that problem.

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:26 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:The problem with Feb is that the plumage on the Snow geese at Bosque is pretty tired looking by then - even January has that problem.
Really???

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by calvin1calvin on Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:37 pm
calvin1calvin
Forum Contributor
Member #:00184
I like going in early December.  There is a large number of birds usually eating closer to the road as the fields are being cut.  It is also "sometimes", warmer than later in the Winter.  Some the workshops go around Thanksgiving or the week after in hopes to have a little fall color remaining.  I have never been at that time.  Book your hotel now as they will fill up.    

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:15 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
The best time, IMO, to come to Bosque is in late October to mid November. The weather is warm, the birds are there in good numbers and the crowds have not yet arrived in full force. Bosque can be quite nice in the middle of January and sometimes into early February. The birds that winter in Mexico and other places down south come in then and the crowds are very thin. I'm posting a couple of images in smaller sizes that show the birds (Ross's and Snow were mixed) in good shape on March 6, 2015 here:
Any roughness in the feathers is not damage, but rather from this:
Here's one from November 8 a few years ago:

And one from January 18 a few years ago. This was just a small part of the geese that covered the pond:
It's easy to get thrown off track if you go by what infrequent visitors say. Nature is always unpredictable and what may be true one year won't be the next.

You can always check out the counts on the Friends website here:

http://www.friendsofthebosque.org/

or call for conditions at (575)835-1828.

Moderators, please feel free to remove the images if you feel it is necessary. Thanks!

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Brian Stirling on Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:45 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Joe, thanks, I do prefer going when the crowds are smaller and booking a hotel is easier and cheaper.  I still plan to hit Yellowstone in mid September and that might preclude a Bosque trip, but if the smoke from the wildfires hasn't cleared by the end of September I will more than likely hit either the Bosque or Squaw Creek.

My one trip to the Bosque, as I mentioned before, was in early February 2004 and the numbers were still pretty decent.  I was travelling in my motorhome at the time and was getting around on my motorcycle.  One morning as I was heading to the Bosque from the RV park a few miles north of the park I was riding on the bike just before dawn and a few thousand snow geese took off and flew just a couple feet over my head -- what an experience that was.

Brian

by photoman4343 on Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:18 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
When I was there in 2014 in dec, I also went to Bernardo wildlife refuge to see and photograph the Sandhills cranes. They were very numerous there and the corn field was right next to the road. I went in the afternoon and got some great shots. It is located north of Socorro right off I 25.
Joe smith
Joe Smith

by photoman4343 on Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:18 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
When I was there in 2014 in dec, I also went to Bernardo wildlife refuge to see and photograph the Sandhills cranes. They were very numerous there and the corn field was right next to the road. I went in the afternoon and got some great shots. It is located north of Socorro right off I 25.
Joe smith
Joe Smith

by fcomisar on Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:28 pm
fcomisar
Forum Contributor
I used live in Omaha and visited Squaw Creek frequently. Squaw Creek gets huge numbers of snow geese (1,000,000+ at their peak according to refuge counts) in both the fall and spring.  November, December, and March are good times to visit for geese and bald eagles (although it is difficult to get close to the eagles). The numbers hold until the water freezes in the fall. In recent years they have been getting trumpeter swans too.

Squaw Creek is under appreciated IMHO. On a busy day you might see 25 photographers.

by Brian Stirling on Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:48 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
fcomisar wrote:I used live in Omaha and visited Squaw Creek frequently. Squaw Creek gets huge numbers of snow geese (1,000,000+ at their peak according to refuge counts) in both the fall and spring.  November, December, and March are good times to visit for geese and bald eagles (although it is difficult to get close to the eagles). The numbers hold until the water freezes in the fall. In recent years they have been getting trumpeter swans too.

Squaw Creek is under appreciated IMHO. On a busy day you might see 25 photographers.
Frank, if I could bug you a bit...

I've been thinking of Squaw Creek and had asked about it some time ago but didn't get much of a response.  I have a sister that lives just east of Omaha in Council Bluffs so I could stay a couple nights at her place instead of spending money for a hotel.  I noticed a number of other places along or near the Missouri River between Squaw Creek and Omaha and a couple north of Omaha as well and if they're any good I could hit some of them in the morning then Squaw Creek in the evening.  Do you know anything about:

1.   Indian Cave State Park / Corning Conservation Area

2.   Nishnabotna Consevation Area

3.   Lower Hamburg Bend Conservation Area

4.   Riverton Wiildlife Management Area (east of river by a bit)

5.   Gifford Point WMA

And north of Omaha

6.   Boyer Chute National Wildlife Refuge

7.   DeSoto National Wildlife Refuge

Heading to the Missouri River area would be a couple hundred miles further than the Bosque from SLC but if I could save on hotel costs and have equal photo ops that would be sweet.  And again, having fewer people to deal with is a huge plus...

PS...   I just noticed you now live in Durango so I have to ask, hows the Animas doing now?

Brian

by fcomisar on Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:51 pm
fcomisar
Forum Contributor
You will likely get better photo opps at Bosque. I've been to Squaw Creek 50-60 times but I would have to recommend Bosque if you have the chance. I love Squaw Creek and it is the best place for wildlife in the Omaha/KCMO area but it pales in comparison to Bosque for photography opps - mainly because of proximity to the birds and better backgrounds. Bosque has cranes too; Squaw Creek has lots of eagles (but again, difficult to get close). With that said, it you have been to Bosque and are looking for a different experience, Squaw Creek would be worth a trip - especially w/ family in the area.

DeSoto NWR used to be good. The geese numbers are down from 10-15 years ago - I think they now prefer Squaw Creek and mostly bypass DeSoto for some reason. They also close most of the roads and much of the DeSoto refuge during the migration which severely limits access and makes photography difficult. I was last at DeSoto and Boyer Chute about 4 years ago. They both were decimated by recent floods. I'm not sure of their condition as wildlife habitat today. Indian Cave SP is a nice park and a good place to camp. Not bad for fall colors - at least by NE standards. I can't help you much with the other places you mentioned.

Thanks for asking about the Animas. It looks normal once again. According to the EPA, the water has returned to pre-spill conditions - which wasn't necessarily that good. The mines have been discharging heavy-metal laden water into the Animas for 100 years. But the river is once again open to recreation and fishing.

by Brian Stirling on Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:32 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Frank, thanks for the feedback -- I'll probably do the Bosque then if Yellowstone is a bust from the wildfire smoke.  I'd still like to check out Squaw Creek at some point and perhaps I can combine that with a trip to the great lakes.  When I returned from a family get together in upstate NY in mid July I came back the long way and traveled across the Mackinac Bridge and along the south shore of Lake Superior.  

There were many great locations along the way and I'd hoped to be able to get out and shoot some of it but I was still in pretty bad shape from a cycling accident and getting around on foot just wasn't possible.  So, when I'm fully recovered I'd like to go back and if/when I do then Omaha and Squaw Creek are right along the way.

Say, now that you live in Durango I'd have to guess you've been to the Bisti Badlands a time or two.  Got any pointers?  Any pointers to places near Durango not counting Mesa Verde?

Brian

by fcomisar on Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:33 pm
fcomisar
Forum Contributor
Brian Stirling wrote:Say, now that you live in Durango I'd have to guess you've been to the Bisti Badlands a time or two.  Got any pointers?  Any pointers to places near Durango not counting Mesa Verde?

Brian

Yeah, I've been to Bisti Badlands. It is a very bizarre landscape - reminds me of something out of Star Wars. If you go, be prepared to hike a couple miles and take a GPS. It is easy to get disoriented in there. 

There are LOTS of places within a three-hour drive of Durango for the landscape photographer (which is exactly why I moved here:
  • San Juan Mountains (Silverton, Ouray, Ridgway)
  • Black Canyon NP
  • Arches NP
  • Canyonlands NP
  • Monument Valley
  • Dead Horse SP
  • Valley of the Gods
  • Mesa Verde
  • Canyon de Chelly
  • Shiprock
  • Slot canyons (Page, AZ)
  • Colorado National Monument
  • Etc., etc., etc.