Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 30 posts | 
by DChan on Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:39 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
 Just wanted to see some better quality photos of Cecil the lion if you don't mind sharing.

by photoman4343 on Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:14 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
I just saw the story about Cecil on the evening news here in the US.

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/environm ... at-n399791

Joe Smith
Joe Smith

by OntPhoto on Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:24 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Not surprised at all. Money drives many things.

by WDCarrier on Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:01 am
WDCarrier
Forum Contributor
Dr. Palmer's activities cannot be described as "hunting" but more aptly killing for fun and...prestige???? I sincerely hope his dentistry practice suffers greatly from this exposure.
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” MLK[/font]

by Mike in O on Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:30 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
They have arrested one of his co-conspirators...I would hope the US government extradites him if requested. A few days in African jail would send a strong message.

by Scotty on Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:41 pm
Scotty
Forum Contributor
Palmer isn't the first, and will no doubt be the last "sport hunter"  whose pastime is vilified online. He may be hearing the roar of Cecil for a lot longer than he thought.
http://www.ecotonephoto.com

by Brian Stirling on Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:01 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Member #:00446
God these stories really make me angry.  I eat meat and can't logically oppose hunting in principle but I do find trophy hunting of all kinds reprehensible and this type worst of all.

We can't really stop rich folks from doing this kind of thing, but as consumers we can avoid giving him the money to do it.  

Almost as sad is the fact that every time something like this happens we have folks that want us to know it's only an animal so what's the big deal.  They also like to argue that these great white hunters bring in much needed income to the local villages and is therefore a good thing.  However, photo tourists bring in orders of magnitude more money without the need to kill.  When the locals equate killing endangered animals with income that only promotes the killing of endangered animals whereas photo tourism helps promote the idea that protecting them is more profitable.

Brian

by John Guastella on Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:22 pm
John Guastella
Forum Contributor
I would hope the US government extradites him if requested
There's very little chance of this guy getting extradited. Extradition is not a simple process even for the most serious crimes, and it's unlikely the US will consider poaching to be in that category.

I'm bettng the whole thing will blow over, and the perpetrator will get away scot free and continue his life long work: slaughtering wild animals for fun and pleasure.

John

by Mike in O on Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:34 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
On NBC news tonight a startling statistic was presented.  With US government consent of killing theses threatened (not endangered) lions, the rich US trophy hunters kill 2.5% of the lion population of Africa every year.  Obviously the male is most sought after (full mane alpha) and when he is killed all cubs in his pride will be killed by the new alpha male.  That 2.5% really is small when you consider a pride has many females with cubs

edit:  this clown had been fined and put on probation for illegally killing a Black Bear a few years back

Last edited by Mike in O on Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

by signgrap on Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:38 am
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Just saw on this mornings news that he has shut his dental practice down because of people demonstrating outside his office. Sounds like he's in hiding and that the demonstrating will continue for a while. The US government is looking into his actions.
Dick Ludwig

by Paul Fusco on Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:19 am
Paul Fusco
Forum Contributor
The USFWS is looking into the matter, and the country of Zimbabwei is said to be interested in talking to this guy.
What better way to set an example about poaching in this day and age than to send this guy back for his talking to.

Facts:
The total population of African lions in 1970 was over 200,000
The total population of African lions in 2014 was approx. 30,00.
Lions are extirpated in seven African countries.
The genetically distinct west African lion population numbers fewer than 250 individuals and they are in scattered locations.
Human population growth and land development have reduced lion habitat by 75%.
Currently, lion populations are being impacted by disease, genetic inbreeding, and deliberate poisoning, in addition to trophy hunting.
[b]Paul J. Fusco
NSN 0120[/b]

NSN Portfolio
http://www.naturescapes.net/portfolios/portfolio.php?cat=10317

by sdaconsulting on Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:24 pm
sdaconsulting
Forum Contributor
I simply cannot fathom the desire to kill a beautiful living creature to hang its head on a wall.
Matthew Cromer

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:03 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:On NBC news tonight a startling statistic was presented.  With US government consent of killing theses threatened (not endangered) lions, the rich US trophy hunters kill 2.5% of the lion population of Africa every year.  Obviously the male is most sought after (full mane alpha) and when he is killed all cubs in his pride will be killed by the new alpha male.  That 2.5% really is small when you consider a pride has many females with cubs

edit:  this clown had been fined and put on probation for illegally killing a Black Bear a few years back
Sorry, DChan, that this is off topic, but I'm adding a link to the guys past conviction and the article also tells about a prior lion kill. So why another one, or even the first???

http://news.yahoo.com/dentist-killed-ce ... 53279.html

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by DChan on Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:11 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:
Mike in O wrote:On NBC news tonight a startling statistic was presented.  With US government consent of killing theses threatened (not endangered) lions, the rich US trophy hunters kill 2.5% of the lion population of Africa every year.  Obviously the male is most sought after (full mane alpha) and when he is killed all cubs in his pride will be killed by the new alpha male.  That 2.5% really is small when you consider a pride has many females with cubs

Sorry, DChan, that this is off topic, but I'm adding a link to the guys past conviction and the article also tells about a prior lion kill. So why another one, or even the first???

http://news.yahoo.com/dentist-killed-ce ... 53279.html

Joe
Yeah, I was searching for pictures of a lion... :)

It's all right.

by Vivek on Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:09 pm
Vivek
Lifetime Member
Member #:01186
Unfortunately not a single photo of this beautiful creature on this thread.

There are very few times I'd express real strong opinions online, but this event pissed me off totally. The US should literally ban importing *any* slaughtered wild animal. From what I read, most of the "sport" hunters are from US. The outrage is not only well deserved, but way past due.
-- Vivek Khanzode
http://www.birdpixel.com

by OntPhoto on Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:15 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:edit:  this clown had been fined and put on probation for illegally killing a Black Bear a few years back

No text posted here.

Last edited by OntPhoto on Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Brian Stirling on Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:13 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
One of the problems here is that there are many people that grow up in a hunting culture and from there earliest memories they've been taught to hunt and that pretty much all creatures are there for the taking. If this dentist grew up in such a manor and it appears he did then this is all he knows.

And again, others with this upbringing are quick to complain when the rest of rest vilify a guy like this.

I hold out little hope this will ever change and we will lose species after species to the combined effects of human overpopulation (land loss) and trophy hunting. That a locality in Africa benefits much more from the vastly larger number of photo tourists doesn't change the fact that some in that locality will jump at the chance to make $50K per kill.

Brian

by OntPhoto on Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:41 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
No Text here.

Last edited by OntPhoto on Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Brian Stirling on Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:58 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
There is some news that says Cecil's brother was also killed illegally and that this now dooms Cecil's cubs.

Brian

by DChan on Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:59 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Heard it on the radio and found it kind of funny :lol:

30 posts |