Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:32 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
When we go looking to photograph raptors and other birds of prey, there are often signs that give a heads up they may be around.  Birds such as crows, blue jays and chickadees will respond with certain types of alarm calls.  Other birds and vulnerable mammals in the vicinity will respond with either calls and/or other behaviours.  I notice that some small woodpeckers will remain absolutely still for long periods of time and allow a close approach when a predatory bird is nearby. Experienced bird photographers pay close attention to these auditory and visual clues because it means a raptor or predator type bird photo-op may be imminent. Or even ground predators such as small-tailed weasels or ermines.

Many of us have found all sorts of raptors and owls by listening to the mobbing calls of crows, jays and other birds. At a local feeder area we know there is a merlin, coopers hawk, sharp-shinned hawk or other raptor close-by just by observing the above signs. There are also chipmunks at the same location and often I'd hear them calling. Birds and small mammals pay attention to each others alarm calls and respond accordingly.  It's an interesting thing to observe. 

While I know the type of bird sounds to listen for to know if a raptor is nearby, I haven't quite deciphered the different alarm calls of the eastern chipmunk. A group of scientists using small microphones attached to some (colour-coded ear tagged) chipmunks to do research on their calls have come up with some interesting findings.  Chipmunks have different calls for danger from the ground and from the sky. The study took place in the Green Mountains Nature Reserve in southern Quebec. The study was published in the journal Scientific Reports.

Overview article.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/06/150612-chipmunks-science-animals-microphones-spies-communication/

Scientific Reports study.
http://www.nature.com/srep/2015/150506/srep10118/full/srep10118.html

The miniature and long duration recording device used (I just found me a new toy).
http://www.amazon.com/B80-Professional-Digital-Recorder-Recording/dp/B00TSVM8GQ

Last edited by OntPhoto on Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

by stevenmajor on Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:48 am
stevenmajor
Forum Contributor
I suggest the unmentioned cause of most warning calls heard is the human that heard it.

by Mike in O on Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:57 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Another great ruse for Jays in the West is mimicking the familiar call of the Red Tailed hawk to scatter everyone.

by OntPhoto on Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:12 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
stevenmajor wrote:I suggest the unmentioned cause of most warning calls heard is the human that heard it.

I am sure people do cause some alarm calls.  At locations with bird feeders, there tend to be a number of chipmunks around as well.  I enjoy both photographing and feeding the little critters.  In such situations they would not view people as a threat.  Once in a while the chipmunks would all disappear from view even if there are lots of seeds left for gathering.  This would be followed by a chorus of chipmunk calls over a fair duration of time.  You know they want that seed :-)  Something serious enough caused them to go into hiding. Without understanding the type of call, I am not sure if it's a ground threat or an aerial threat. Sometimes I'd show up and see no birds around (at a location where birds are very used to having people around) except for the persistent alarm call of chipmunks.  This tells me that before I arrived, something threatening was there and maybe still around but just out of view. 

PS.  As for bird alarm calls, people usually start looking around for a bird of prey and most often it shows itself shortly afterwards.  All other small critters and birds in the vicinity respond at the same time to the calls. And people if you know the meaning of the call.  You may be resting or engaged in conversation but soon as you hear the alarm call, everyone grabs their camera or binoculars.

by pleverington on Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:27 am
pleverington
Forum Contributor
I had pet chipmunks as a child 50 years ago and the male one would place his hands/paws up on the threshold of his open cage door while standing on his two back  legs and sing almost like a canary. It was definitely not an alarm call and to hear him sing was quite a treat. I might of read somewhere... I forget for sure, but more likely I assumed, that he was mate calling. Just like canary song...very, very, pretty...

Paul
Paul Leverington
"A great image is one that is created, not one that is made"

by OntPhoto on Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:54 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:Another great ruse for Jays in the West is mimicking the familiar call of the Red Tailed hawk to scatter everyone.

And the East. I've seen Jays just call to scatter the other birds and chipmunks while they still go for the food. I am not sure if it was intentional :)

6 posts |