« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by Brian Stirling on Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:24 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Member #:00446
I drove out to a family reunion in NY and I'm making my way back to SLC via the northern route and I'm looking for photo ops along the south shore of Lake Superior,  I'm staying in a hotel near Munising MI and plan to continue west towards Duluth staying north until heading back south to SLC in Montana.  Never been to many of these places hence the diversion...

Now, the only problem I have is that I fell while cycling a month back and really messed up the muscles etc in my left hip and have been using crutches ever since so I'll probably be limited in my hiking abilities.  Not that I don't want to hear about the spots that do require some hiking but maybe let me know the difficulties.

Beyond Duluth and Lake Superior I'll continue west through Minnesota, ND and into Montana before heading south so any advise on the best route through there would be nice as well.  Not sure if I want to go as far north as Grand Forks and Minot or if the route through Fargo and Bismarck would be better.

Thanks,

Brian

by Dave Kocher on Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:38 am
Dave Kocher
Forum Contributor
Check out the National Lakeshore.
Also the Badlands NP.

by Robert on Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:44 am
Robert
Forum Contributor
Brian,

Much of the lake Superior coastline is scenic with it's rocky shoreline. Easy access will get you some op's along the way at various stops. Presque Isle Park in Marquette is a good one to consider http://www.michigandnr.com/publications/pdfs/wildlife/viewingguide/up/19Presque/ , also take a look at Apostle Islands National Lakeshore http://www.nps.gov/apis/index.htm . Lake Superior magazine might also give you some more ideas http://www.lakesuperior.com/ .

Have a great trip.

by Brian Stirling on Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:54 am
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Thanks guys...

Brian

by Kerry on Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:34 am
Kerry
Forum Contributor
I'd have a lot more suggestions for you in the UP if you were there during fall color season, but in the meantime, if you're still in Munising, I'd check as many locations as possible in Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, immediately to your east. H-58 runs from Munising to Grand Marais (roughly 50 miles) and is the access road to many interesting areas. Munising Falls, at the very western edge of the Lakeshore, is easily accessed, as is the overlook for Miners Castle. (Given your current mobility limitations, most of the other spots in the area will be difficult if not impossible to reach.) There are many, many interesting viewpoints of Lake Superior west of Munising on M-28, as you head in the direction of Marquette.

Much further west, if you're not short on time, you might check out Bond Falls, a bit south of Paulding on M-28, and the Lake of the Clouds overlook in Porcupine Mountains State Park (this will require a significant detour) west of Silver City.

Beware of the black flies and mosquitoes!

by Brian Stirling on Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:52 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Well I just got home from my trip last night but didn't actually do much photography given my condition. I do think I'd like to come back and spend some time when I've recovered and perhaps the fall would be best.

Michigan sure has some amazing scenery given that it is surrounded by four of the five Great Lakes.

Brian

6 posts |