Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by dn123 on Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:02 am
dn123
Forum Contributor
[font=Arial]I have been planning my dream trip with my husband to the Algonquin Park, Ontario, Canada for camping and I heard of this great opportunity to go wildlife watching too. Being summer we are all excited for the special outdoor theater organised for the evenings at the park.  We have already booked our rooms in a highly recommended adventure lodge in Algonquin Park. Is it really true that we can see the breeding birds at this time of the year? Is photography allowed there? I really want to know as I don’t want to simply take my camera if I can’t put it to use. Thank you all for your support.Also, I’ve heard about hunting and trapping animals in Algonquin Park. Is there anyone who has been there doing this?[/font]

by ebkw on Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:41 am
ebkw
Forum Contributor
You can photographic anything you wish! There should be birds feeding young at this time. Tapes are not allowed. No feeding of wildlife allowed so your photography will be of whatever you may come across while hiking or driving or out in a canoe.

You might get in touch with Tim or Robin at the Algonquin Wildife Research Station to find out what programs might be running while you are there.

http://www.algonquinwrs.ca/Workshops.html

A friend of mine was there on the weekend bicycling on the Mew Lake campground trail.

There is no hunting or trapping in the Park.

I hope you have a wonderful time and contact me by PM if you wish.
Eleanor Kee Wellman, eleanorkeewellman.com, Blog at: keewellman.wordpress.com

by dn123 on Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:45 pm
dn123
Forum Contributor
Thank you so much for your advise Eleanor. That was great information. I'm looking forward to this trip with my husband.

by OntPhoto on Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:01 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Algonquin is a great place to visit. Too bad it's 3 1/2 hours away or I would be there a lot more. Drop into the Visitor Centre and ask to speak to a park naturalist. They have a lot of useful info regarding recent sightings, be it moose, bears, owls, foxes, wolves etc.

Last summer the Mew Lake campground or old airfield had several families of black bears with cubs. Apparently a bumper crop of blueberries brought the bears to that particular location. Bears would pick berries right next to people also picking berries. The occasional wolf was seen. Great gray owls had young along the Mizzy Lake trail. The Mizzy Lake trail is a well known location for nesting Great Gray Owls.

I wasn't sure what to make of the post at first.  Soon as I see a link to a lodging as a first post, I immediately think spam/advertising.

by dn123 on Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:05 pm
dn123
Forum Contributor
Thank you so much for your reply Ontphoto. I'm looking forward to speak to the Park naturalist. We'll give you all a feedback after our trip. Our trip is in 3 weeks from now. Thank you all.

5 posts |