Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:45 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
The latest news is that there are in fact 3 young falcons this year.  And a new adult male has been identified.  For those who don't know, Niagara Falls is one of the best places to both watch and photograph these birds up close.  The reason being that the nest is actually about 80+ yards below where you stand on the tourist boardwalk on the Canadian side.  The young birds and adults can be seen flying close to the wall around the gorge especially if there is a strong breeze.  You can take some really close up photos at eye-level here. Photography should be good again in the next week or so once all 3 have fledged.  I ended up with nothing last summer because I got there too early. For those heading to the Falls, enjoy.

by BlueDeuce on Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:49 am
BlueDeuce
Forum Contributor
Any likely hood you can be more specific, provide coordinates or post a sat image with a arrow pointing to the location ? I might fly up from Orlando for this. I tried it several years ago but couldnt locate them. Thanks.
Mike

by OntPhoto on Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:39 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
In a previous thread I may have uploaded an aerial view of the location.

I believe one falcon at Niagara Falls had fledged early but its 2 siblings had not at the time. I am sure all 3 are flying around by now. Locally, one falcon fledged close to a week before its sibling. There are other peregrine falcon nests near Ottawa (at least 5) but people keep them quiet (I know of only one near Ottawa besides the one in the city itself). 

Think I just found another location near here.  I will go check it out and keep an eye on it next spring.

3 posts |